Liposuction with Hyperthyroidism?

I have a light hyperthyroidism for which I am currently taking methimazole (15g pro die). Is a liposuction with general anesthesia controindicated in my case?

Liposuction and hyperthyroidism

Hyperthryoidism is not a specific contraindication to surgery. It is best to get medical clearance from your doctor before pursuing the liposuction.

Hyperthyroidism and Liposuction

If the hyperthyroidism is controlled and supported by appropriate lab data, then you may be a candidate.  Uncontrolled hyperthyroidism in any extent is never acceptable.

Liposuction with a medical diagnosis

Thanks for your question, Sylvia.  In regards to most medical conditions, (hyperthyroidism, hypertension, diabetes, etc.) clearance from a medical doctor might be required in order to have an elective procedure under general anesthesia.  A discussion with your PCP and PS should be able to further guide you in treatment options to ensure that you will have a successful procedure.  Good luck in your endeavors.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

#Liposuction with hyperthyroidism

if hyperthyroidism is well-controlled and your blood pressure is within normal limits then u might be a good candidate for liposuction especilly if it is small volume.

Liposuction with Hyperthyroidism?

Well controlled hyperthyroidism should not be a contraindication to liposuction surgery. Best to have documented ( lab tests) well-controlled thyroid hormone levels for at least 3 months prior to proceeding. Your internist/endocrinologist will be your best resource when it comes to good advice regarding timing of the procedure. Best wishes.