Liposuction with Hyperthyroidism?

I have a light hyperthyroidism for which I am currently taking methimazole (15g pro die). Is a liposuction with general anesthesia controindicated in my case?

Liposuction and hyperthyroidism

+3

Hyperthryoidism is not a specific contraindication to surgery. It is best to get medical clearance from your doctor before pursuing the liposuction.

Hyperthyroidism and Liposuction

+3

If the hyperthyroidism is controlled and supported by appropriate lab data, then you may be a candidate.  Uncontrolled hyperthyroidism in any extent is never acceptable.

Liposuction with a medical diagnosis

+2

Thanks for your question, Sylvia.  In regards to most medical conditions, (hyperthyroidism, hypertension, diabetes, etc.) clearance from a medical doctor might be required in order to have an elective procedure under general anesthesia.  A discussion with your PCP and PS should be able to further guide you in treatment options to ensure that you will have a successful procedure.  Good luck in your endeavors.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

#Liposuction with hyperthyroidism

+2

if hyperthyroidism is well-controlled and your blood pressure is within normal limits then u might be a good candidate for liposuction especilly if it is small volume.

Misbah Khan, MD

Liposuction with Hyperthyroidism?

+1
Well controlled hyperthyroidism should not be a contraindication to liposuction surgery. Best to have documented ( lab tests) well-controlled thyroid hormone levels for at least 3 months prior to proceeding. Your internist/endocrinologist will be your best resource when it comes to good advice regarding timing of the procedure. Best wishes.