Liposuction Horror - Please Ladies Be Very Careful - Research May Not Be Enough - Get Recommendations! (photo)

Had researched hard & decided to go with a well known Dr in France. Paid much money to go with him. I didn't want to risk my body with just anyone. He was supposed to be one of the best. Shortly after 1st op I had 3 'tyres' develop! Never had them before. Vastly uneven. Dr agreed to correct (this time under local - so painful!) & after another costly trip to France 1 yr later its still bad. I am so embarrassed scars & unevenness I have lost my confidence.Needs correction - Can any Dr help me? :(

Liposuction results

+1

I'm very sorry for what you're going through. As other plastic surgeons here have said, it seems like a full tummy tuck may be most helpful for you. But it is impossible to make this decision without being examined by a board certified plastic surgeon. There is no need to leave the United States for quality plastic surgery.  

I advise you to visit with at least one board certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discuss your situation with them. I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction disappointment

+1

Yes. You need to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Your email comes from San Francisco. There are many in your area.

Call the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and ask for some names.

From your photo, it looks as though you needed abdominal muscle repair.

Only a thorough examination can decide exactly what will help.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction Horror - Please Ladies Be Very Careful - Research May Not Be Enough - Get Recommendations!

+1

I sympathize for what has been a trying and expensive experience for you.

I agree with my colleagues who have recommended an abdominoplasty with revision of the liposuction. It appears from your photos that this would have been the best procedure for you in the first place.

I suggest you identify a capable, experienced and compassionate plastic surgeon in your area (and there must be many) and discuss your options.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Solution for "Bad Lipo"

+1

I am truly sorry for what you are going through.  Please do not view any comments I am about to make as critical of you but since many others read and hopefully learn from these comments, they need to be educational as well. 

Choice of Surgeon - there is ABOLUTEY no reason for someone in the USA and especially in a state like California which is full of good Plastic surgeons to go abroad for Liposuction. Doing so is not only expensive but becomes very expensive when complications happen. It is always best to pick a surgeon close to where you live to care for you. 

Choice of Surgery - respectfully - your photographs suggest a preoperative excess of BOTH fat and skin. As a result, the ideal would have been a loss of 20-30 pounds followed by a Tummy Tuck. Barring that, I would have suggested Liposuction. Followed 6-8 months later, after the inflammation has subsided and the skin has fully softened and sagged, by a Tummy Tuck which would remove all skin excess and flatten the tummy. 

Present options - please obtain your operative records from your French surgeon and consult with several local Plastic surgeons. The Bay area is awash with good surgeons. Consult the website of the American Society of  PlasticSurgeons. All of us have seen cases such as yours, often done by inexperienced  Non-plastic surgeons. Your situation is correctable but it sadly could have been prevented.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD

+1

Yes a "horror" But I do not understand is why fly across the globe if you live in San Fransico?? Seems unusual. I agree with Dr Khoobehi as to the correct surgeries you need. But still I'm concerned about your thought process as to flying to France a few times. 

You were not a candidate for liposuction alone

+1

You have bad results because of wrong procedure for your condition. Your need liposuction and tummy tuck to correct the unevenness, remove excess skin and repair muscle separation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Best Liposuction

+1

Based on your pictures, you look like you really need a tummy tuck rather than liposuction to achieve the best results.  So, in addition to searching out the best doctors, you also need to search out the best procedure.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Why france

+1

You have the best right here in the US, that's why people come here for surgery.  Se someone in your area and see what would be involved in correcting your problem.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction horror

+1
Your doctor may have been an expert on liposuction, but was he a plastic surgeon? Your story is illustrative of a patient who wants and has the wrong operation for her body. You needed an abdominoplasty and liposuction would not correct your problem. There was no reason to go to France. The United States is home to the largest number of board certified plastic surgeons in the world, with many outstanding surgeons in California. Save the airfare and use the ASPS directory as a starting point.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Making bad choices in plastic surgery

+1

Unfortunately, you can only fault yourself in this situation becasue you made the wrong choice of surgeon and had the wrong surgery performed for the starting point you had.  Based on the photos you showed, you needed a tummy tuck all along and liposuction was never going to be great.  Hopefully you now understand that there are many great plastic surgeons in the Bay area who can help you and fortunately most of the damage is in the lower abdomen which could be removed in a tummy tuck.  Of course, my comments do not serve as a substitute for an in person exam and recommendation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS