Will Liposuction Help Me Get Rid of the Fat Pouch over my Belly Button? (photo)

I have always gained and lost weight, but over the past few years I have been around 129 pounds for the past 3 years and I am 5'2'' - I am a female and 27. I feel very self conscious in a bathing suit or even regular clothes because it always pokes out. - What is the best treatment to get rid of the excess fat that bulges above my belly button? - How can I tell if I will have loose skin after liposuction and will it look bad? - Are there any treatments for skin elasticity?

Will Liposuction Help Me Get Rid of the Fat Pouch over my Belly Button?

+2

Thank you for the photo- yes, I believe that liposuction that is performed by an experienced Plastic Surgeon who is confident in their skills at reducing this area will certainly help you to get rid of your fat pouch.  I dont think that you will be left with more skin laxity, but liposuction does not get rid of loose skin.  I dont think that you need to do an abdominoplasty at this point, but likely will need to at some point due to your history of weight loss and the stretch marks.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat pouch above umbilicus

+2

Conservative liposuction may help, but it is likely you will still have some skin excess and a more horizontal than vertical umbilicus. I can understand your not desiring a tummy tuck at your age, but that would be the best way to address the skin laxity from weight gain and loss.

Thomas G. Liszka, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will flatten the abdomen but not reduce excess skin.

+2

Liposuction can flatten the area in question but it appears as though there is some excess skin. This may be a problem in the wake of the fat removal.

Loose Skin Above Belly Button...What To Do?? Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hello Coralee,

Your attached photo reflects more loose/lax skin than excess fat, above the belly button.  It may be a result of weight changes over the years, genetics or if you have had kids- pregnancy.  There may be a little fatty tissue there but it looks to be mostly skin.

For this reason, I'm not confident that liposuction in that area will provide to you any kind of a terrific result- you will likely continue to  have a pooch of overhang above the belly button.  Personally, I have not seen rewarding results with non-surgical skin tightening procedures.

My suggestion would be to continue with your diet and exercise, add on muscle toning with a gym program and see where you are with maximum personal effort.  You've done a great job so far and ongoing success will trim and shape your figure further.  There is an excellent chance that your own effort will deliver a better outcome than any surgical or non-surgical procedure and that "bulge" will become a distant memory.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Depends on how much loose skin you have

+1

Dear coralee,

The answer to your question rests on how much loose skin you have.  The weight gain and weight loss that you have experienced, if significant, could have led to loose skin/soft-tissue.  If this is the case, liposuction will reduce the amount of fat present but will not make much impact on the loose skin.  An examination will allow this difference to be determined.  If you do have loose skin you may be better suited by a tummy tuck.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Ski laxity for liposuction

+1

Skin laxity is a difficult to accurately assess based on photographs alone. but I will say that it looks like you skin is too lax on these photos.  In the end, liposuction will improve this area but it depends on your goal and what your expectations are.  This has to be discussed with your plastic surgeon before your surgery.  

Good luck

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

+1

I might try liposuction with SmartLipo Triplex and ThermiTight RF combination. But in person examination is needed. 

Liposuction and Treatment of Fat Above the Belly Button

+1

Dear Coralee,  liposuction will improve the excess fat above the belly button, but  liposuction alone will not improve loose skin.  You may be a candidate for an energy assisted liposuction such as ultrasound (Vaser liposuction) or laser (Smartlipo).  The ultrasound or laser can be used to help tighten and tone the skin to a degree.  These options won't tighten the skin as much as a tummy tuck, but from your photo, this may be a reasonable option.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

+1

Liposuction will help with the fat, but the skin will be the issue.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and tummy tuck procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lax tissue above the umbilicus

+1

More information and an exam in person would be helpful, but if the skin is loose, liposuction will make it worse. With larger weight loss, abdominoplasty is often the best.  You need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.