Liposuction Safe for a Healthy 71 Year Old?

Is Liposuction on inner thighs and saddle bags safe for a 71-year-old woman who has no health problems nor takes any medication?

Liposuction safety

+1

In all likelihood, yes, but the skin may have lost some elasticity and the cosmetic result of the surface of the skin, and the retraction of the dermis may not be as good on you now than compared with 20 or more years ago.

Liposuction for Older Patients

+1

Liposution is always safe as long as it is done correctly. I would have you get a few labs, chest x-ray and EKG to confirm for the anesthesiologists that you are healthy.

The only issue that you may have is residual looseness of the skin. Unfortunately the older we get the less elastic our skin.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction works for all ages, even at 71-year-old

+1

At age 71 you may have loose saggy skin to begin with and just want the bulges reduced to look good in clothes and that is totally acceptable. I've done patients in their 80's with good success. Of course you are going to have it done under local anesthesia with the micro canulas so your skin has some chance of tightening up alittle. Cost is roughly $5000.

Good Luck!

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction past “youth.”

+1

Liposuction was initially reserved for people younger than 35. However, being one of the first surgeons taught the technique in this country by the French, I took the technique back to the university where I was to see if it was really as good as it was supposed to be. In this setting, I was also willing to push it beyond what the French had told us we should do. One of the first people I ever did over the 35 age limit was someone about 70. We both agreed that the skin would not shrink, but she was only interested in looking better and fitting better in clothing. She too was otherwise healthy. She did exceptionally well, tolerated the procedure as well as my younger patients, and was one of the happiest patients on which I have ever operated. Since then I have never let age dictate the decision to operate. Instead, I simply evaluate whether the person is healthy enough for what we plan to do, and if they understand what to expect and that their expectations are realistic. Liposuction is a much larger procedure than the tiny incisions would indicate. It has a significant amount of fluid shifts, so heart status is important and needs to be considered. Skin over 35 to 45 has lost a significant amount of elasticity, so you should not expect it to shrink immediately like younger skin. However, it will contract with time, especially with a little coaxing from how the procedure is done and with elastic support for a time and time in general (usually about a year). If the area bothers you, you are healthy with a good heart, and your surgeon believes you are a reasonable candidate, go for it.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Good Liposuction results depend on good skin elasticity

+1

In order to get a good result from liposuction, you need a good doctor and you need good skin elasticity. Even if you are healthy enough to tolerate the procedure, almost certainly, your inner thigh skin will not shrink well because it is so thin and you will regret liposuction there. Your outer thighs have thicker skin and a qualified surgeon could tell you what you might expect from liposuction there. Probably it isn't a good idea though...

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction at an advanced age

+1

Your ability to tolerate anesthesia is more realted to your physiologic rather than your chronologic age. If you are healthy, I would see no contraindication to the surgery. However, the results may be compromised by the quality of your skin elasticity. Removal of fat necessitates that the overlying skin contracts in order to achieve an optimal result. This makes predicition of the result a difficult process.