When Will Hardness Dissipate After Liposuction?

I had liposuction done two week ago and my stomach is really hard. How long before this goes away and if I have my arms done, will they get hard as well?

Hardness after liposcution: Lumps & Bumps

+2

Hardness typically occurs during the proliferative phase of wound healing which can last as long as 6 weeks. A seroma may prolong this. Softening then will occur subsequent to the 6 week mark and can be appreciated at approximately 12 weeks after surgery.

Severity of hardness after Lipo varies

+1

This, like many physical effects of liposuction and surgery in general, varies but usually it fades over 4-6 weeks. The severity of the problem and the time to resolution also depend upon technique. Some docs in looking to take every little bit of fat get more hardness by traumatizing the tissue more than others. In these cases, some of this firmness may persist.

There is a point at which liposuction more closely resembles trauma. See your surgeon and ask what he sees in his patients. We vary and it makes a difference to you here.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Hardness not normal after liposuction

+1

See your plastic surgeon. Hardness after liposuction can be due to internal scarring.  This gets better with lymphatic drainage massage.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)