Liposuction Hardening?

I had liposuction around my belly area and chest. Had great results on my chest. However, around my belly I've noticed hardening and it seems like my pants actually fit tighter. I checked my body fat percentage and it is lower, but like I said, my belly seems hardened and larger. My physician says that it is scarred tissue and that it is normal. He didn't really give me a straight answer when I asked if this will eventually go away. It's been almost 9 months since my procedure now.

Liposuction Hardening 9 Months after Liposuctioning

+1

Hardened tissues at 9 months following liposuction may soften with more time.  This is likely scar.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction Hardening?

+1

Thank you for your question. Some people heal differently and sometimes will scar more extensively,  depending on the skin type, history, genetics, amount of trauma, etc. It takes a full year for the final scar to form. I would recommend aggressive massaging and trying some laser treatments, such as Vaser or Velashape to soften the hardened spot. Be certain to get an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss all of your options.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Hard Belly After Liposuction

+1

Lumpiness or hardness after lipo can be seen up to 3 months out, but not common at 9 months out. I would address this with your surgeon to see if any type of laser was used intraoperatively to increase skin tightening that may account for increase scarring, and to just get more answers.  You can also always seek a second opinion by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Abdominal hardening nine month post liposuction

+1

This is an unusual finding at this stage in my experience.  You should be evaluated and discuss you concerns with your surgeon.  If you don't feel like you are getting a straight answer, consider getting a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Hardness 9 months post-op liposuction

+1

It is very common for abdomen to be larger and firm after liposuction, but most of it goes away by 6-8 weeks.  Hardness at 9 months post-op is unusual and should be evaluated by the surgeon who did the procedure.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and hardness after 9 months

+1

Hardness at 9 months after liposuction is definitely not common. In order to properly evaluate this, you would need an exam.

9 months post-lipo hardening

+1

Im not sure if this is a normal finding. I have been doing liposuction for many years and I have never seen that in my practice. its better to consult with your surgeon and make sure this is normal. or if it needs to be addressed right away. most of my patients have mild hardness lasting 6-8 weeks and then it resolves. 9 months is a long time.

Misbah Khan, MD

Hello

+1

In our practice we tell our patients to start getting deep tissue message to help break the scar tissue down. You can message as hard as you can tolerate it once a week or as often as you want. You are still swollen it can take up to 1 year to get final results.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS