Would Liposuction Help me Jump Start Weight Loss, and Reduce Diabetes? Weigh 385lbs. (photo)

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My a1c was 8.7 on Sept 14 2011 with a weight of 427lbs. It was 6.1 on December 14th 2011. I weigh 385lbs today. From my research so far liposuction doesn't seem to be a good option but I still want to ask. I don't expect it to make me look good, but would it help skip any significant amount of the weight I still need to lose? I don't expect 100lbs of fat removal, but how about fat to change clothing size and reduce diabetes.

Liposuction is not the answer. Please consult an expert for a medical workup and advice on nutrition and exercise.

+1

It would be much more helpful to determine the cause of your weight problem and lose as much weight as possible before considering liposuction.  I good medical weight loss program is where you should begin.  Liposuction will be helpful at the end to fine tune your shape once you have lost a lot of weight.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Doesn't sound like liposuction would be a good option for you

+1

Although some recent studies have shown improvements in triglyceride levels after liposuction, the procedure is still not recommended for weight loss.  You correct in stating that weight loss is a crucial component of getting your diabetes under control.  My advice for you would be to continue to lose weight by diet and exercise if possible.  You may also want to consult with a bariatric surgeon.  It would be better for you to save your money for a possible body contouring procedure after you lose the weight.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and weight loss

+1

Liposuction is not indicated for weight loss and is best for treating stubborn fat deposits in individuals with a normal BMI.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and weight loss

+1

Liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss. The best thing to do would be to go to a nutritionist and a weight loss doctor to be properly counseled.

Liposuction for weight loss

+1

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure and with your current weight loss you should build on that and really try to lose as much as you can on your own. Then you should strongly consider massive weight loss procedures that remove excess skin and fat. Your ultimate result will be markedly better with that regimen.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not for weight loss

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss.  Liposuction is not designed to stimulate weight loss. It would be best to consider other methods to consider.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Would Liposuction Help me Jump Start Weight Loss, and Reduce Diabetes? Weigh 385lbs.

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Keep up the weight loss. Dr Johnson is correct liposuction is NOT for weight reduction. Even "Large Volume Lipo" has limits in that removal of 20 liters of lipo could only result in 20 to 30 pounds of reduction plus the medical risks and the expense of over $30,000+. Best to find a large volume lipo expert to see in person. Regards

Liposuction is a poor solution for weight control

+1

You are well aware that your weight has reached a very dangerous level, and while weight reduction is proven to reduce type ll diabetes, liposuction has a very poor track record for maintained weight reduction, and even a 'high volume' procedure will not make much of dent at your current BMI.