Liposuction for Men?

Hello. I am scheduled for liposuction but I have a question I hadn't thought of before. Is it important to consider how many MALE patients a doctor has performed abdominal liposuction on? The surgeon I am scheduled with is well qualified in terms of credentials and has had numerous female patients, as evidenced by his "before-and-after" photo book, but is it a concern that I only saw about 5 different male liposuction patients in this book?

Male Liposuction

+1
A qualified physician will be able to perform effective liposuction procedures on both men and women. While men may seek liposuction in different areas of the body than women, the basics of the procedures are the same. Some men have more fibrotic fat that may require a laser liposuction procedure.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction for Men?

+1

Thank you for the thoughtful question. No, I do not think that you,  assuming careful selection of plastic surgeon, have much to worry about given your observations in regards to percentage of men/women photographs.  This likely reflects the difference in patient population seeking plastic surgical procedures generally.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.

Men having liposuction

+1

Thank you for asking about surgeons doing male liposuction.

1. You need not be concerned. The surgical principles are the same.
  2. About 10% of cosmetic surgery is done on men, every plastic surgeon will have more women patients.
  3. Your experience is normal. Hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Male Patient %

+1

Nationally 8% of plastic surgery patients are men and 92 % women.  I know of no surgeon specializing in men nor is it necessary.  A good surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and well experienced will do fine.  Check your surgeons credentials.  Is the OR accredited by a national body? Is an MD anesthesiologist present at every case?   If all these check out you will be safe, well cared for,  and have a nice result.  The big 3. ......  Safety, Quality Care,  Nice Results.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for Men?

+1

I perform about 500 liposuction procedures a year, usually larger procedures where 5 liters are suctioned.  About 5% to 10% of the patients are male.  If your surgeon perfoms that many procedures, liposuction results will be great.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and liposuction revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction for men

+1

If a surgeon performs liposuction well, then he absolutely can treat a man well too!. Don't sweat it. 

Liposuction

+1

Males constitute about 10% of all cosmetic surgery done in the US.Liposuction is not a sexist procedure and is the same surgical technique for men and women. Only subcutaneous fat can be liosuctioned. Intra abdominal fat, inside the belly, can not be liposuctioned.