Been On a Diet Program For About a Year With No Results. Is Liposuction For Me?

I am 19 years old and 5'5.5 inches tall and I weight 317 lb I had been on a diet program for a year but I was not seeing any real changes in my body and ended up giving up because I felt it was hopeless. however I still want to try to achieve my ideal body figure and health This time I want to try liposuction to help me achieved more of my ideal body figure to help keep me motivated to keep up a healthy life style and feel better about myself should get liposuction or not

Weight Loss and Liposuction

+2

Thanks for the information you provided with your question.  Based on your height and weight, you are probably not a candidate for liposuction.  Liposuction is a great contouring tool but it not a weight loss tool.  Instead, you may wish to consult with a center that specializes in management of the excess weight patients.  These centers can help you address which method-diet/exercise, lap-band, or other surgical intervention-would be best to address your weight problems.  The key is that you recognize you have a problem and that is the first step in finding an answer.  Good luck and keep on trying and you will get there.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lipo at 317lbs and 19 years old

+1

Lipo is not a weight loss procedure.  However, lipo is for moderate sculpting and I would advise you to lose some weight before considering lipo as I do not feel that you would really benefit from having the procedure. Further, there is an issue of skin quality. Removing fat without having good elastic skin will just leave sagging skin devoid of fat. I do not think that would help you to reach you goals or make you feel any better. Last the complication rate dramatically increases when your bmi is greater than 30. Sorry.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Liposuction in the Overweight

+1

If you have been on a dietary program for over a year without any results, there are only three explanations. Either the dietary program was not the right one for you, you really did not follow it, or you have an undiagnosed medical condition preventing your weight loss. Liposuction is absolutely not what you need. First, if you have not had one, you need a medical evaluation to make sure you do not have some underlying problem. Then you need a medically supervised lifestyle management program to gradually change your dietary and exercise habits. Even if this is not successful in obtaining your goals, it is necessary to learn how to modify your longstanding habits that got you to where you are. If you do not reach your goal, then, instead of liposuction, you should consider a bariatric surgical procedure to finish what the lifestyle modification started.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and obesity

+1

Liposuction is not for you. You are either on the wrong diet and exercise routine or you are not following it correctly. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question, In general liposuction is a body contouring procedure and not a weight loss procedure. I think you are on the right track  in determining to lose the wight. Your approach should be, however, through diet and exercise.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Liposuction and obesity

+1

Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity. But, exercise and dieting is. You should speak to your medical doctor and be referred to a nutritionist and personal trainer. Good luck.

Liposuction and Weight loss

+1

If you are 317 pounds, then liposuction is not for you.  If you have be trying to loose weight unsuccessfully, then you may want to consider a consultation or weight loose surgery - gastric band or sleeve or bypass.  Liposuction is only for body contouring but not weight loss.  With liposuction you may loose 5 to 20 points, but this is a secondary to the goal which is contouring.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction

+1

Thanks you for the inquiry. Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. It is great for contouring areas that are unresponsive to diet and exercise. The best result is achieved when you are close to your ideal body weight. Don't give up.  It would help to see some photos of you. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Liposuction is not for you

+1

The problem you have is common and is very difficult.  First of all, please understand that to maintain a weight of more than 300 pounds at 5'5" requires a very improper diet with a substantial excess of calories taken in versus calories burned.  Liposuction is not the answer for you.  You should go to a weight loss specialist for a through medical evaluation and non-surgical program with supervised diet and exercise like on TV's Biggest Loser.  You have hopefully seen how successful this can be when done properly!

The only surgery to consider would be a weight loss operation like a lap band or gastric bypass but ONLY if natural methods fail.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS