Fat Stored After Liposuction Not Good Anymore?

I had a abdomen Liposuction done on August 2006. The doctor gave me my fat to freeze and I have had it since then in my freezer. The problem is that my lights went out for 2-3 days. I would to like know, is the fat is not good anymore? I'm wanting to use it for fat grafting to my buttocks.

I would never consider injecting that fat into your buttocks

+3

I personally do not store or freeze fat for fat grafting.

It seems to me that the viability of the fat cells would be significantly impaired after freezing. If it had been unfrozen for 2-3 days there is certainly a greater risk of death of these delicate cells.

The risk of infection would be very high.

Throw it out!

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Say no to stored fat!

+2

First of all, if biologic material such as fat, is to be stored for re-use in the body, it must be maintained with the standards of blood banks. So physicians' offices or patients' own would not qualify.

Secondly, intuitively and scientifically, fat that is harvested, traumatized, then stored, is likely not going to be a quality product. Not very difficult to harvest fresh fat at the time of injection.

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Fat from Liposuction Cannot be Stored Safely at Home !

+1

NO !!!!!!

Stored frozen fat must be done in a special way by protocol in extremely sterile conditions. Storing fat in your freezer at home is not safe - throw it away !! . The fact that you were told to do this by a doctor is scary.

There is no way that you doctor is a board certified Plastic Surgeon yet this is who you most need to see.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS