Can I Get Liposuction Even Though Im Overweight? (photo)

Im 163lbs and 5'3 i plan to lose 10lbs before getting surgery but i was wondering if its possible to get back liposuction without getting abdominal liposuction? I dont want liposuction on my stomach i only want to get rid of my back rolls but i saw one doctor and he said i have to get abdominal,flanks,lower back,outter chest and then i can get upper back :( by the way im only 19 yrs old.

Liposuction and overweight

+3

Liposuction is not a solution for being overweight. It is best to lose the weight first and then determine if you need liposuction or excisional procedures.

Can I Get Liposuction Even Though Im Overweight?

+2

Sounds like you need more opinions in person! I would of course do one area of liposuction as long as you understand the other fatty areas might be more noticeable. 

Liposuction Of Rolls On Back Even Better At Age 19

+2

Your weight is not a problem and your age is an asset.  The younger you are, the better your skin shrinks up, and the quicker your recovery.  I wrote a paper in the early '90's on liposuction of the back for a liposuction journal.  The incisions are made in the mid back, tumescent fluid placed, and then liposuction with 3 mm cannulas.  The important trick is to suction through the membranes that separate the rolls.  The term for this is fenistration.  If the segmentation membranes are not fenistrated, you will have a smaller version of the same problem.  In my practice, we refer to those areas as upper back, mid back, and hips. 

You are, in fact, a great candidate for liposuction of the back rolls.  A 10-pound weight loss is unnecessary.  However, I suggest you get a second opinion from a Board Certified plastic surgeon who is willing to do what you want, not what he or she wants.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the back side makes a big improvement and can be done now.

+2

Liposuction would make a great improvement for your back-side which would include the axillae(arm pit areas), mid back rolls and hips for roughly $5500 on special and can be done under local tumescent lipo.  You can be back to work in 2 days and up walking the very next day. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction site slection.

+2

Greetings,

I would suggest that you get to your target weight and then select the place(s) you want to have liposuctioned. 

If the only area that troubles you is your back, then this is where you should have your liposuction performed.  It is important to remember that this procedure is for you, the patient, to feel better about yourself.  Plastic surgeons have a large skill set to improve the appearance of what they see; this can be well beyond what the patient needs to be satisfied.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Back Liposuction Only

+2

You can have liposuction where you want it. If you only want the back treated, then that is all you have to do. Based on your pictures, you are at an ok weight to have liposuction done at any time.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction of Back Possible?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, it is possible to have liposuctioning of the back done,  without undergoing liposuctioning of the abdomen.  Generally speaking, a good liposuction  surgery candidate is a patient who presents with diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue isolated to specific areas. These patients are not  looking for a weight loss solution. On the other hand " ideal weight” can be somewhat arbitrary and is not an  absolute criteria in determining candidates for the procedure.

Good skin elasticity is also an important  attribute  of the patient undergoing liposuction surgery. As we age or gain/lose weight we generally  lose some skin elasticity. After the liposuction procedure we are depending on the skin elasticity to allow the skin envelope to “shrink” to fit the reduced contour resulting from the liposuction procedure.

I would suggest that you continue with your weight loss program and seek additional consultations with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons when the time is right.

Liposuction at 19 with Weight to Lose

+1

Definitely lose your weight first and then you may consider the liposuction.  Liposuction of the back will make a nice difference.  However, liposuction of this alone may make it easier to gain fat in your abdomen if you gain weight.  Maintaining your weight after liposuction will be critical.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction and weight loss ideal

+1

Liposuction will not get you back into a bikini but I have found over the years that tumescent liposuction on larger, more overweight individuals can yield very satisfying results. Many patients are motivated by the shape change from liposuction to change their eating and exercising habits so that weight loss goes along with the procedure. Losing a large abdomen or girth can allow easier exercise and more confidence in exercise clothing at the gym. I think it can be a great procedure with the right expectations. Good luck to you!

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Liposuction with plans to lose weight

+1

Yes, liposuction can be performed in a singular area.  That being said, I always encourage my patients who are intending to lose weight to do so before undergoing the procedure. Once you've achieved your goal weight I encourage you to meet with a Board Certified plastic surgeon to explore your options and expected outcomes from surgery. Best of luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon