Liposuction for Dog Ears After Tummy Tuck?

I had a full Tummy Tuck. I went back to my doctor so he could fix the "dog ears" on the flanks. I never had the front liposuctioned. Was I supposed to go back and get the abdomen lipo-ed? I did not include a picture of the scar, I had a tattoo of a vine put on to cover it.

Dog ears after tummy tuck

+3

A dog ear is due to either excess skin and/or fat at the ends of the transverse scar. It is important to wait for the swelling in those areas to disappear. This may take up to 3-6 months.

Often liposuction can easily remove the excess fat dog ear and improve any other irregular areas of the abdomen. However, I usually perform skin excision with liposuction at the same touch up procedure.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Does liposuction help dog ears after tummy tuck?

+3

If there is a fat component, liposuction can work for the dogears as well as refinement of the waist. The dog ear also has loose or excess skin which needs to be excised as well. Some dogears are small so just a tiny skin/fat excision will suffice without the need for lipo.

Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ears and Lipo

+3

I am not quite sure what you are asking, but it really depends on what the dog ears are. If is secondary to skin, which it usually is, then excision is the procedure. Sometime you can get away with some lipo to settle the dog ears. There have been times I have had to do both. But in general excision for dog ears.

Liposuction of the abdomen is up to you and your plastic surgeon. Not every one needs it after a tummy tuck, and some get it before a tummy tuck and some during. It just depends how much fullness you have and what needs to be addressed.

Liposuction can be done on dog ears after tummy tuck

+2

It is not too uncommon a problem after a tummy tuck.  Lipo can be performed without any problems now and with good results to flatten the fullness of the lower abdomen and hip area. 

Dr. Zahir

Mclean Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can help achieve better contour after tummy tuck

+2

Depending on the amount of fat on your abdominal skin, liposuction may improve the overall contour of your abdomen. Small amount of liposuction can be done at the time of tummy tuck, but it is not safe to perform large amount of liposuction with full tummy tuck.

The "dog ear" deformity after tummy tuck is usually due to excess skin at the outer margins of skin removal and require excision. Minor bulge may be amenable to lipoplasty alone. Your surgeon would hopefully be able to determine the best intervention.

Hope this helps!

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon