How Different is Liposuction for Diabetics?

I've been a Type 1 diabetic since the age of 13. I'm now 39, and I want to have Liposuction on my stomach and abdomen. I've been told that the risk is very high, yet all the tests I have had are excellent. How much difference is there between a diabetic and non-diabetic person when having Liposuction done?

Diabetes and liposuction

+1

I have performed liposuction on many diabetic patients over the past 10 years. As long as the individual is well controlled with her sugars and there are no other medical problems, I have seen no increased complications. I have noticed that well controlled diabetics actually have fewer complications than non compliant non diabetics. I would strongly recommend that you pursue this surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon. In my experience, you should do extremely well with this procedure.

Liposuction and Diabetes

+1

Patients with diabetes do have a higher incidences of wound healing issue and infection. For patients considering liposuction, controlling your sugar levels is very important both before and after the surgery. I would also consider performing a more conservative liposuction surgery.

T.Y. Steven Ip, MD, FACS