Liposuction Dents

I had liposuction done to my neck region and the procedure caused two hollow like dents. It really looks bad and I'm not sure what can be done to help correct this issue. I'm scared I will have to wear turtle necks the rest of my life which depresses me. Can a facelift smooth these contour irregularities out or would a filler be better, or both?

Liposuction dents after surgery to neck--turtlenecks forever?

+3

It looks as if your surgeon actually performed more than liposuction to this area (because of the longer scar)--probably necklift or platysmaplasty. Excessive fat removal, localized bleeding (and resultant scarring), or fluid collections that ultimately resolved but left these irregularities are possible reasons for this appearance. Mild infections that resolve can also cause this. I have seen these before, and this is actually one reason I now usually recommend direct excision of the submental fat rather than liposuction in the majority of my cases--there is more control of bleeding, more uniformity of fat removal, and higher likelihood of smooth healing. But here you are; what to do now?

First of all, this needs to settle, soften, and mature before any re-operation is seriously considered. During that time, massage therapy and external ultrasound can help soften and loosen the tight scar tissues that are forming these furrows and indentations. In mild cases this may be all that is needed. In more serious cases, judicious steroid injections can help to soften and flatten thicker collections of subcutaneous scar tissue. In a few cases re-elevation and re-draping the neck skin will help it to heal in a smoother fashion.

Fillers may be tempting, but these require injections, which can bleed a tiny bit and cause even more irregularity--for what? a temporary improvement? that costs a bundle? Even if the filler was offered for "free," I would instead recommend patience, conservative measures as discussed above, and re-operation no sooner than 3 months (6 months even better). Good luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction irregularities after neck liposuction

+3

Judging from your picture, you did not have liposuction alone.  The longer incision in the location you have pictured is usually done with a necklift..  The incision appears fresh.

Make sure to consult your experienced board certified plastic surgeon on what conservative things can be done, and ultimately how to correct this.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Contour Irregularities After Neck Liposuction

+2

Dear TJR,

I am sorry to hear about the contour irregularities after your necklift with liposuction. Judging from the appearance of the scar, it appears that the procedure was performed somewhat recently. I would consider allowing more time to elapse so that the swelling and inflammation resulting from surgery can subside before undergoing additional treatment. Fat grafting to help smooth the dents is the most likely treatment. A secondary necklift, or a skin tightening procedure such as the Alma Accent, could also be worth considering. I would consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for help.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Indentations after liposuction and fat grafts

+1

If indents occur after too much fat is removed in one area, or if that's the way the tissue heals, then fat injections, or fat grafts, taken from another part of your body with local anesthetic sometimes helps build the concavity of the indent up with a good cosmetic result. The fat graft may need to be redone but some of the fat cells may live long term in the new environment and provide a good long term result. Ask you surgeon about this.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Dents post lipo

+1

You could try to graft some fat to these areas or consider a necklift.I think the graft would be easiest and if not satisfy consider a necklift.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Neck and liposuction dents

+1

Divots from liposuction can be problematic.  A bit more detail would be needed to figure out what you had done exactly.  Fat injection may be the most helpful.

Dents after neck lift

+1

Sorry for you TJR

The other docs above have written correctly re the cause. In my view you should have fat injection to smooth this over a min of 6 weeks after your last procedure. I am not in favor of platysma resection, but it is not the subject of your issue.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Dents

+1

Both will help. You have over lipoed chin area which causes "banding" of the skin to the platysma muscles.