Does Liposuction Damage the Area Underneath the Skin and Cause Cellulite and Less Resilience?

I had liposuction about 7 years ago. I honestly didn't have that much fat to be suctioned, I just wanted my stomache and legs to look a little better. Now, it seems that no matter what I do and I exercise alot, my legs continually look worse. It makes me sick and depressed! I will never be able to wear shorts that come over my knees. I am just in my 40's and I can only imagine what I will look like when I get into my 50's! I just cant help but wonder if lipo ruined the structure of my ski

Liposuction Should Be Safe For Skin and Soft Tissue Structure

+1

Without an examination it is difficult to answer your question.

Cellulite describes the dimpled appearance of skin caused by fat deposits that are just below the surface of the skin. The skin surface changes seen in cellulite are caused by fat deposits that push and distort the fibrous connective matrix beneath the skin; these fibrous septae pull on the undersurface of the skin, while fat pushes on the undersurface of the skin, leading to the characteristic surface contour irregularities. As the amount of fat between these septae increases the appearance may worsen.

Liposuction is not designed to treat cellulite, it is a contouring procedure designed to remove excess subcutaneous fat. Liposuction should be performed in the deepest layer of fat away from the skin; the superficial fat is only suctioned if additional thinning or contouring is necessary. Proper use of a post-op compression garment should aid in contouring during the healing phase. Since liposuction is only a contouring procedure, the better the skin elasticity of the patient, the better the result should be. Therefore, younger patients with good skin tone should generally have better results and post-op recontouring, compared with middle-aged or elderly patients who have more skin laxity.

Moderate to severe weight gain results in skin stretching, thinning, the occurrence of stretch marks, and the loss of elasticity. Using a similar thought process -- removing subcutaneous fat should therefore decrease the stress and stretch on the overlying skin, and should actually help to maintain better skin elasticity.

So it is unlikely, when properly performed, that liposuction would ruin the skin structure. If you have further questions, consult a plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Web reference: http://www.drdembny.com

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon