Major Health Issues- Possible For Liposuction To Be Covered by Health Insurance?

41 yr old male - spine is breaking down - suffer from degenerative disc disease - chronic pain syndrome plus artheritus in several areas of the body - have gone thru 18 surgeries so far. I need 3 surgeries right now but pain management program and neurosurgeon want me to try and live with condition for awhile. recieving social security disability an private long term disability. 6 ft tall weight 290-300 lbs. almost bed ridden. knee's are shot - would health ins. consider covering lipo?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Liposuction for obesity?

+2
I am not aware of any medical indications for liposuction other than lipodystrophy caused by certain HIV medications. For weight loss, your doctor may consider bariatric surgery; these procedures you may be familiar with and include gastric banding and gastric bypass.
Washington Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction would be imprudent and not covered by any insurance company

+2

Given the scenario that you have provided, there really is not a good and prudent indication to undergo liposuction. In addition, no insurance company will cover this cosmetic procedure based simply because of your underlying medical condition. You could benefit from nutritional counseling and significant weight loss.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Liposuction and medical indications

+2

Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance.  I do not know of any conditions for which this would be covered.

Medical Insurance companies' Coverage of Liposuction for Obesity

+2

At 6 foot and 300 pounds you have a BMI of over 40 qualifying you as Morbidly Obese. There is no doubt that some of this weight has caused or worsened your spine and joint issue. BUT - Liposuction is NOT a weight loss procedure and the most weight we can take off in an outpatient procedure is around 10 pounds. As a result, NO insurance company would pay for it as if it was a medically indicated operation.

On the other hand, MOST medical insurance companies and Medicare WILL pay for you to have bariatric or weight loss surgery at your weight. This operation could save your life and will definitely make walking MUCH easier.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Health

+2

So sorry to hear of your health issues. I am not aware of any insurance coverage for liposuction in your situation.

You may have more success in obtaining coverage for nutritional counseling to assist in weight loss.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure

+1

You have some very unfortunate medical problems.  Your weight and stature are such that you are considered morbidly obese.  This undoubtedly contributes to your other problems.  Liposuction is not considered a weight loss procedure and insurance would not cover it.  Your life vitually depends on finding a solution that is lifelong.  Liposuction will not prevent you from gaining weight.  Your body will find ways to store the extra calories you are taking in.  There are safer ways to lose weight.  You need nutritional counseling and better eating habits.  Your inability to exercise means that your caloric needs are small and boredom may make eating a way to pass time.  Good Lucjk.

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Unfortunately, you are not a good candidate for liposuction surgery;  in other words, it is not a procedure that will help you (and may actually expose you to significant risk). Consultation with a bariatric surgeon and/or weight loss specialist may be beneficial.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_liposuction_men.htm