Liposuction of Chin/neck Area. Is it Done Under General Anesthesia? What Do You Recommend? (photo)

Is it possible to do liposuction of the chin/neck area/jawline by itself? Is this done under general anesthesia or sedation? How much does it cost? Do you think I would get good results without having a chin implant? I know my chin is recessed but I am scared to have an implant after reading the blogs on this site.

Liposuction under chin and Chin Augmentation Anesthesia Choices

+1

Upper neck liposuction and Chin augmentation are  outpatient procedures typically done in the plastic surgeon’s office or in a surgery center. It is usually done under local anesthesia with oral sedation or intravenous sedation, but can be done under general anesthesia if requested. Your photos are inadequate to tell if both need to be performed and I suggest you see a board certified plastic surgeon for best advice.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/face/chin-augmentation/

Chin augmentation and chin / neck liposuction

+1

Great question. I would recommend chin and neck liposuction as a first step.  If you are afraid of a chin implant, I would recommend Radiesse facial fillers for non surgical chin augmentaiton. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/face/53/chin-and-neck-lipo.aspx

Liposuction of the neck, chin implant

+1
The only setting in which I currently use a solid facial implant is for chin implant augmentation. Some patients with a 'weak' chin profile can be adequately improved by structural fat grafting alone. However, when the chin protrusion needs to be enhanced by a half centimeter or more, a chin implant is absolutely required. I prefer to use a soft, flexible, anatomic chin implant that conservatively enhances the anterior projection of the chin in profile. The chin implant is placed through an incision hidden underneath the chin, an area where many people already have a scar from a fall in childhood.
Moderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.
Liposuction, as you may have heard in the popular media, is the most commonly performed surgical procedure each year in the United States. Here's a statistic that you may not have heard: the majority of physicians performing liposuction in the United States are not plastic surgeons; in fact, many do not have any formal surgical training whatsoever. It seems hard to believe, but many physicians performing liposuction have had no more training in liposuction than a 'weekend course'. One way to determine whether or not a physician has had appropriate training in a particular surgery is to confirm that they have hospital privileges for that procedure.
I fear that some practitioners view liposuction as a 'simple' surgery, since it does not involve making large incisions, and it requires little, if any, suturing. Nothing could be further from the truth. Liposuction, in my mind, is a very challenging operation that requires careful planning and preparation, and a great deal of care and finesse when it is actually performed. It requires a three-dimensional understanding of the layers of human anatomy, an understanding that is second nature to a surgeon alone. I think that it is often an inadequate understanding of anatomy (and, perhaps, of the body's response to surgery) which leads to the poor results in liposuction and body contouring that unfortunately are so often seen.
When performed expertly, on an ideal candidate, neck liposuction can transform the face, making a person look years younger and often much lighter. Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/gallery/neckliposuction_1.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of chin/neck area

+1

A retrusive chin is always best treated with a chin implant and enhanced with neck work.  Neck fat can be removed with simple liposuction.  However, a more controlled operation with better results is a neck lift.  A neck lift is typically performed on patients less than 50 years of age who do not have any jowling.  When jowling is present, a lower face/neck lift is performed to raise the jowls and tighten the platysmal muscle, and take the fat out of the neck.

+1

Chin liposuction is typically performed under IV sedation with great success. I have two concerns about liposuction alone based on your photos. The first is that liposuction will remove fatty tissue but there is a good chance that your neck skin will not tighten enough to give you the nice neckline that you desire. Second, you will not achieve the profile improvement that you're seeking without also augmenting your chin with either a chin implant or filler injection. You would probably see moderate improvement with liposuction. However, your home run option would be a lower face and necklift with a chin implant. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-liposuction/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia?

+1

I prefer IV sedation and local anesthesia for improving problems such as yours. A chin implant added to neck liposuction and possible platysmaplsty would give a very dramatic improvement . In the 40 years I have been using chin implants , I have never had a major problem and the minor ones were all correctible. Please send me the refernce for the blogs that frighten you so much.

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of Chin/Neck

+1

Hello, in reviewing your photos I would recommend a combination of procedures. You will need submental  liposuction as well as liposuction of your jaw and a chin implant. It is also going to be necessary to have a neck lift. If you only have the liposuction of your neck and jaw you may be trading one problem for the next (loose skin), which in my opinion is worse.These procedures can be done under local and IV sedation or general anesthesia. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you. 

Liposuction of Chin/neck Area. Is it Done Under General Anesthesia? What Do You Recommend?

+1

Photos posted are slightly helpful. In that regard I would recommend in person evaluations in your city. But I think you need a neck lift, sub mental lipectomy and chin implant. Smart Lipo + lipo of the next, jawline would not treat the excess skin and hypo plastic jaw. 

Be aware the lower face and neck liposuction can be very comfortably performed under local anesthesia.

+1

There is no good reason to perform this procedure under general anesthesia.  While general anesthesia is generally considered "safe."  It is not as safe as not having general anesthesia.  The lower face and neck can be numbed and liposuction can be performed in an office procedure room.  Generally for the placement of a chin implant, iv sedation is preferred.  Another excellent option for your chin is Perlane filler as an alternative to a chin implant or a chin advancement.