Circular Ridges After Cheek Liposuction

I had Liposuction of my cheeks 6 weeks ago and now have these firm circular ridges that are very prominent when I smile. I showed the doctor, and he said to masssage frequently and use heat. I've been doing this for 3 weeks with little improvement. Is this permanent? Can it be fixed? Will fillers help to make them less noticeable?

It takes several months to see the final appearance after facial liposuction

+1

Hi,

I know it's distressing to think that you'll be left with permanent facial ridges, but try to be patient. The ridges can the result of multiple factors: swelling, scar tissue, fat necrosis, and skin injury. All of these evolve over several months. Your best bet is to wait about six more weeks; if you still fail to have any improvement, you may wish to consider to temporary filling agent (Juvederm, Restylane, etc.). Once a year has passed, if you still have the deformity, you may need to consider a more permanent option, like autologous fat transfer. Still, it's still to early to know what, if anything, you'll need. Your surgeon's advise to massage the area and to use heat sound very appropriate.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Please avoid cheek liposuction

+1

Liposuction of the head and neck region should be restricted in my opinion to the jawline and neck and avoid the cheek. The reason is that the distance from the skin to the fat to the underlying muscles of facial expression and the nerves that run them is very short. Consequently, the surgeon MUST stay nearer to the skin to avoid injury to these vital structures and runs the risk of contour irregularities which may be permanent.

You should continue with massage and give it time but you might need a revision. A revision will not likely completely resolve the problem unfortunately.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

It takes about three months for the swelling to subside

+1

After liposuction it may take more than 3 months to see the final results,  Most probably the irregularities will resolve with massage.  It not resolve one can transfer some fat back in the indentaions.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give it some more time for scar tissue to subside

+1

It is still too early to tell. Scar tissue normally forms for 6 weeks after injury before it begins to subside. Continue to massage the areas as you have been instructed. If you do not see any improvement in the next 6 weeks, then I would consider other interventions at that time.