Would Liposuction Help Chances of Lowering Tummy Tuck Scar?

Would two separate surgeries better my chances or one? Is it better to have Liposuction on my stomach first to allow more loose skin to on my scar and belly button before scar revision or just go ahead and do it all together to get a better result?

Is going under anesthesia more than once in a short time a concern I should put in consideration?

Help! I am very unhappy with my scar and am willing to do whatever is best for me and the end result no matter how long it would take but of course not putting myself in danger. Thank you in advance.

After appropriate period of healing, your Tummy Tuck scar can be lowered slightly

+3

It is important to allow adequate healing time for your scar to improve. Topical scar treatments such as Kelocote, and hydroquinone can be helpful, and laser treatments can also improve scars. If you do not get the improvement you want, the scar could probably be lowered slightly, particularly on the outer part of your abdomen, by excising some additional tissue below the scar. Less change could be obtained centrally, though the upward pattern could be smoothed. These excisions could be combined with liposuction, but I do not think that this would allow greater correction, and could contribute to healing problems. Lipo alone would offer no significant improvement. Be patient and obtain the opinion of an experienced plastic surgeon now and as your healing progresses.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Scars after a tummy tuck- how to lower the scar

+3

Your work looks to have been done in a very respectable fashion.

As all my other colleagues have pointed out, you are very early after your surgery and the scars must mature. It is likely they will look vastly better in one year from now.

It is often not possible to lower the scars from a full tummy tuck without distorting the pubic area or causing excessive tightness (and wide, bad scars).

Liposuction would likely do nothing to lower your scar other than give you irregularities, especially if performed too early after the tummy tuck surgery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

+3

There are 2 reasons why you should NOT have liposuction yet.

1. You appear to still be in a fresh post-Tummy Tuck period. not only are the tissues still swollen but the blood supply to the lower abdominal wall comes from above (from under the lower ribs) and could be disrupted by liposuction with disastrous consequences. Allow 8 months of healing before considering it.

2. Unless there is a LOT of fat under the skin, liposuction and removal of such potential fat, will not result in a major deflation and downwards sagging of the lower tummy skin and the scar. You do not appear to have that much fat.

Things WILL look a lot better in a few months and I would not do anything until everything is soft and pliable.

Dr. P. Aldea

Moving the tummy tuck scar is virtually impossible

+3

Dear Blue44, unfortunately, there is really no way to significantly move your tummy tuck scar, with or without liposuction, single or staged procedure. You do look fairly early postop and hopefully, time will improve the scar and your acceptance of it. Sorry for this news but don't have more surgery trying to move that scar.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and height of scars

+2

I would agree with my colleagues statements that comment on the relatively recent nature of your surgery and the difficulty in truly lowering your scar to any significant degree.

Liposuction to lower Tummy Tuck scar not a good idea

+2

The idea of liposuction and tummy tuck revision is not a good idea. Liposuction will cause scaring and will make the revision harder. The best will be to combine this.

It will be difficult to lower the incision and physical examination is a must.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

liposuction and tummy tuck scar

+2

I am afraid that liposuction really won't change your scar at all. Scar revision could be performed but you will replace the scar you have with yet another scar which could heal worse. Occasionally scars can get good improvement with a combination of non-invasive laser resurfacing, such as wtih the Fraxel RE:store laser and other lasers for increased redness such as V-beam. Special scar dressings and cortisone injections may also help.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Some tummy tuck scars will benefit from revision

+2

Recovery from tummy tuck is the longest of almost all cosmetic procedures today, and it pays to be patient about softening and fading of the scar. Clothing style can vary and scar placement is very important in the tummy tuck procedure. The higher scar can be difficult to hide under the low rise pants and jeans today, and currently we use a lower incision. Once the scar is higher on the hip it is very difficult to move the scar lower and liposuction is not likely to help. In time the scar should fade, though if the scar is very thick or brown and hyperpigmented, revision of the scar may help as there will be less tension on the line as it heals.

Best of luck.

Lowering Tummy Tuck scar would be difficult

+2

I agree with Dr. Rand, it would be very hard to lower a high tummy tuck scar. Who did the operation, and how long ago?

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon