Liposuction Candidate? (photo)

I am 5 feet 4 inches and approximately 190lbs depending on the time of month. I have kept to a diet and lost approximately 20lbs and walk approximately an hour every day. I have been considering liposuction (tummy area, thighs, arm, and butt) for some time. What determines whether a person is a canidate for the procedure. What are the costs. How long would the procedure be.

Hi There,

Here is a link that may help you with your research:

http://www.realself.com/Liposuction/cost

Hopefully this helps!

To liposuck or not liposuck, that is the question

+2

First of all, congratulations on your 20 pound weight loss.  Based on your current height and weight, you have a BMI of 32.6, which still puts you in the obese category.  Over the long run, the best thing for you now is to lose more weight.  As you have seen from the other answers, there is a difference of opinion among the various surgeons and dermatologists whether or not liposuction should be done.  I have found that with patients in your situation, if truly stymied from being more aggressive with exercise by the prescence of the abdominal fat, then MAYBE liposuction would make sense.  You are going to need to do more than walk an hour a day to bump up your body's calorie burning. Try doing more. If you find that your abdominal fat interferes, then consider liposuction, but understand that this won't necessarily improve your APPEARANCE that much. As far as cost, this also varies.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate

+1

If a patient has a certain amount of weight to lose, I would recommend losing the weight first.  The liposuction works well for stubborn fat stores.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction candidate or not?

+1

You are someone who could inspire countless debates about right or wrong, indicated or not indicated, too much, too aggressive, weight loss vs body contouring et all.

We do not perform VASER lipo as a daycare procedure in heavy individuals as we aspirate 8-10% of the body weight (in litres) in one sitting, safely. You might need two sessions.

I would too recommend you loose a weight prior to the procedure, however it is easier said than done. It can even be hazardous if tried through fad diets & aggressive exercise regimes. You would know best if you have done enough to achieve that. 

Remember, liposuction is a body contouring procedure, not a procedure for weight loss. Secondly, it is not a procedure which can be considered as an alternative for diet & exercise. You might not truly achieve either. However, in some patients stuck in the vicious circle of diet, exercise, weight loss & rebound it can do a lot as a big push in the right direction. Following the procedure the patients feel much more motivated to maintain what they have achieved by going through the procedure. All the best.

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Liopsuction and weight

+1

Based upon your height and weight and your photos, I do not think that you are a good candidate for liposuction. It is not a solution for weight loss by diet and exercise.

Liposuction may help you but understand it does not remove any skin

+1
Your pictures show that you have skin folds which will persist after liposuction.
Liposuction removes fat and does not remove excess skin.  Additionally in our practice we limit liposuction to about 4 L per session to keep the risk of surgery to a minimum.  In your case you might need to come back for more than one session to get a full treatment

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Firstly you should try aggressive weight loss. But if you desire liposuction than you must understand it is not a weight loss operation. But in office lipo can remove, in Florida, 4 liters of fat ONLY. So cost would approach $6,800 to $10,800. Seek in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. 

Continue your weight loss process

+1

Congratulations for your weight loss to date.  I would certainly not recommend liposuction at this time but would suggest that you continue to loose weight by decreasing your total caloric intake and exercising.  Liposuction should be reserved for areas of fat that project and detract from the normal body contour after one has reached their goal weight.  When liposuction is performed to assist the normal weight loss process it is usually unsuccessful because the fat shows up at a different part of the body - shoulders, arms breasts, etc. Continue your good work and you will be rewarded with lasting great results.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

#Liposuction for heavier patients

+1

first of all, know that liposuction is NOT a substitute for weight loss. its a procedure that can be of great benefit for patients who are within their ideal body weight range of 10-20 lbs and just need to sculpt smaller pockets of fat that are resistent to diet and exercise. women as well as men, we all have certain pockets we cannot dissolve and thats when Liposuction becomes useful. in my experience patients like your self do not do well with Liposuction. stick with diet and exercise and re-consider your options once ure closer to your ideal body wt

Misbah Khan, MD

Liposuction is a great motivator for large patients.

+1

Liposuction can be done now since you are exercising and dieting some. It is a great motivator to help patients work out more and diet more. Liposuction does make a big improvement and large patients need help too. It is too easy to say to just lose the weight, etc... in reality, it won't happen most of the time without something extra such as liposuction. I would plan on 3 procedures: abdomen in 1; thighs in another; and buttocks/arms in the 3rd procedure. They can be done 1 week apart and all under local tumescent tech lipo for roughly $5500 on special for each one. You can be back to work in 2 days and it would be a great kick-start to the new you. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction candidate

+1

It sounds as if you are effectively losing weight without the need for liposuction. Diet and exercise is by far the best way to lose weight. Liposuction should really be reserved to help take care of stubborn areas that are resistant to your diet and exercise routine. It really is a poor weight loss tool and is much better when used for sculpting. Continue doing what you are doing and consider liposuction when you get much closer to your target weight (if you need it).

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon