Liposuction Candidate?

I am 23 years old and have gained weight over the past few years and it has all seemed to go to my midsection.

It has been very difficult to get rid of the belly fat and I am wondering if I would benefit from Liposuction or if I have too much belly fat? I have not had children yet so I am going to avoid a tummy tuck until after I have. I have large breast and now a very fatty abdomen.

Liposuction for focal fat reduction

+2

Of course the best (and healthiest) way to rid yourself of belly fat is through diet and exercise. Patients who have liposuction as a weight loss tool do poorly over the long term, as they continue to gain weight. They simply haven't broken the cycle. Many complain of gaining weight in strange places. This is due to a continual gain in weight.

The ads you see with models romping around in bikinis are not postoperative patients who used to have excess weight and had liposuction. They are models who if anything have had minimal fat removed. The perception that patients can get liposuction and look like models without a simultaneous diet and exercise program is simply not true.

For stubborn areas, liposuction is wonderful and can be life-changing. It will not remove fat inside the abdomen, the so called "beer belly" fat. Unfortunately, this is the most dangerous fat for diabetes and heart disease. That is why a regimen of exercise and good diet will give the very best results when combined with liposuction.

Liposuction in the abdomen is not thought to interfere with pregnancy.

Liposuction works if your weight is stable.

+1

Hi.

Even if you are somewhat overweight, liposuction can improve your shape. It might even motivate you to lose weight. But don't have liposuction if your weight is creeping up. That's a more complicated problem.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction for weight gain

+1

Liposuction is best in patients who have diet-resistant areas of excess fat. It should not be used to reduce fat because of weight gain. Many people struggle to lose weight. I find my patients are most successful when they work with a certified nutritionist. If your weight is not stable and you have liposuction, most likely you will gain more weight after the procedure.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD