Is Liposuction Necessary During Breast Reduction Surgery?

I have Breast Reduction surgery in about two weeks. I am debating on the Liposuction that was recommended at the same time. If I don't have Liposuction done, can I get similar results through diet and exercise?

Liposuction not necessary but can improve contour

+1
Almost a decade ago, researchers proved that liposuction-only breast reduction provided women with much better results than traditional breast reduction procedures. However, not every woman is a candidate. Breast reduction with liposuction cannot effectively treat sagging, poor skin quality and glandular (rather than fat) hypertrophy. It sounds like you were recommended for traditional breast reduction accompanied by liposuction. This is possible to further contour the breast. You may want to consider this as results can be more predictable than if you got breast reduction without liposuction, then dieted and exercised afterward (which could contribute to sagging). Furthermore, the areas treated with liposuction tend to be resistant to diet and exercise.

Breast Reduction and Liposuction?

+1

Liposuction is not “necessary”,  can be a useful tool, during breast reduction surgery. One area that often benefits from liposuction surgery is the lateral chest wall ( below the axilla). My suggestion would be to allow your plastic surgeon to use whatever tool necessary to achieve the best results possible.

Liposuction and breast reduction

+1

Liposuction is not necessary with breast reductions. It can help thin out the lateral fold of tissue that often persists.

Liposuction during breast reduction.

+1

Hi,

Liposuction is not necessary for every breast reduction procedure. It depends on the type of procedure being done and on the patient. A lot of times it is highly recommended because it helps the lateral side areas of the breast look flatter and better. Usually we do not charge extra and I usually always do liposuction for breast contouring laterally. This of course, does not include liposuction of back rolls or extensions.

You should consult with your plastic surgeon to see why he is recommending lipo and go from there. Certain areas can be very stubborn so sometimes diet and exercise arent enough. If it is a money issue, I would not compromise results and what is best for you because of the cost.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Liposuction for breast reduction is not required

+1

Mahalamom,

Liposuction is not required for a breast reduction. If you desired to re-contour the area beneath the arm pit that can produce a roll then liposuction is an option. Whether or not the area of liposuction in question can be reduced with weight loss is only a question you can answer. It depends on whether you can do all the things to safely loose weight (less calories in/healthier food and more calories out/exercise).

Review your concerns/questions again with your surgeon prior to your surgery.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast reduction with liposuction

+1

Liposuction, as an adjunct to breast reduction, is often beneficial to treat those diet resistant pockets of fat that women complain about on the outer part of the breast that protrude above or beyond the bra strap. You can elect to go without but those fat deposits will remain untreated. Your choice.

Breast reduction surgery can be done without liposuction

+1

I am not sure from your posting whether the proposed liposuction is to be done in the area of the breast as part of the breast reduction or in a completely different area as the thighs or abdomen. Liposuction of the area around the underarm at what we refer to as the "tail of the breast" is often done during a breast reduction in order to create the best shaped breast possible. If there is a chance that liposuction will be needed in this area, I will discuss it with the patient before the surgery and make sure that it is listed as a procedure on the surgical consent. I consider this liposuction to be part of the breast reduction procedure and do it to create the best result possible.

If the liposuction is for an area other than related to the breast, necessary is a relative term. If you want liposuction of the hips, for example, it may make alot of sense to do it at the same time as your breast reduction. That way, you have only one postoperative period. There are different risks when you combine more than one procedure at the same time, but if you are healthy and the volume of liposuction and breast reduction are moderate the increase risk should be minimal. However, if you did not request treatment other than to your breasts, then liposuction may not be indicated.

This is a question to ask your surgeon. Before you undergo surgery, you should be able to discuss any of your questions and concerns with the doctor performing the procedure. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, this may not be the correct surgeon for you.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction can be great adjunct to breast implants to get rid of fullness on sides

+1

While the word necessary is often used inappropriately, liposuction to the side of the chest and lateral chest wall which is under the upper arm is often a good additional option to remove the bulge in this area which is often left when a reduction mamoplasty is done alone. Truly not necessary but a really nice additional option to give a better result. Talk with your surgeon and ask him or her what and where they intend to liposuction. Usually insurance companies pay for reduction mamoplasty but not for this additional liposuction. Often it is better to spend a little more to get a better result.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Liposuction during Breast Reduction depends on whether you need it

+1

Liposuction is not done in all of my breast reduction patients but many of them need this to help the axilla look better. The area on the sides if there is tissue, can be improved with liposuction to help it look flatter. Not everyone needs this...but some patients do.

Go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get the best results.

Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Is liposuction necessary during breast reduction?

+1

Hi there-

NO, liposuction is not a necessary component of breast reduction surgery.

More likely, your surgeon was recommending this as a means of maximizing the shape achieved.

If you are not comfortable with it, just express your concerns to your surgeon and ask if the procedure could be done without it.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS