Liposuction and Breast Augmentation Through Belly Button?

Is it possible to get breast augmentation through the belly button and liposuction at the same time?

Liposuction and breast augmentation are often done together.

+1

But not through the belly button!   Not a good operation.  When women are not happy with their breast implants, it's never because of the scar.   And the belly button operation voids the manufacturer's warranty.  So have normal breast implants with liposuction.

TUBA and liposuction

+1

Certainly, breast augmentation can be performed at the same time as liposuction. I am not a big fan of the TUBA procedure, because you cannot perform silicone gel implant placement this way, and you do not have control over the pocket as precisely as you do from other approaches.

Breast augmentation through belly is a bad idea!

+1

Placing implants through your umbilicus (belly button) makes it quite difficult to get even pockets on each side, increasing the chance of a bad result. Consider getting implants placed with an incision closer to the breast itself where the plastic surgeon has more position-control.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Possible, but will the result be desirable?

+1

The "big" question in plastic surgery is often not whether or not something can be done, but what it might look like afterward. Patients do not always realize that the results of surgery can depend upon choices they make as well as their overall health. For example, a patient who smokes a great number of cigarettes will tend to have a higher rate of poor wound healing, bleeding and contracture formation with breast implants and breast lift surgery.

My opinion is that breast implant placement through the belly button leads to inferior results over the long term, so I do not choose to do it that way. Patients who choose to have the surgery done this way sometimes find their way to my office. Many of them have no idea that their choice to have their prior surgeon do the surgery the way it was done may have affected their results in a bad way.

Just be careful what you request. Some doctors may give it to you.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Many things are possible... whether they are a good idea is another question...

+1

Hi there-

I'm sure that you would be able to find someone who would combine these procedures for you if that is your goal- the question that is more important, however, is whether this would be likely to be safe, and whether it would be likely to achieve your long term aesthetic goals.

In my opinion, placing breast implants through the navel is not a reliable technique, and makes control of the implant pocket much more difficult. Considering the reason for having the surgery in the first place is to make your breasts as beautiful as possible, it doesn't make sense to me to compromise the outcome from the very beginning by choosing this technique.

Even if you are going to pursue this technique, having liposuction (I'm assuming you want this done on your abdomen, as you don't specify) at the same time would be ill-advised, as this might expose your implant pocket to blood and fluid from the suction portion of the procedure, which might increase the likelihood of complications.

Be careful... many things in plastic surgery that are possible may not be in your best interests.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS