Waiting Period for Lipo and Breast Augmentation After Pregnancy?

My baby's due date is January 15. I'm not planning to have more kids and I would like to have liposuction and breast augmentation ASAP. My plan is to breastfeed the baby for a month. What's the minimum time that I have to wait in order to have each surgery? I do not mind at all to have one first and then the other.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Liposuction and Breast Augmentation After Pregnancy

+1

It's great that you want to regain your pre-childbirth body. But it's important to wait until you have lost all of the "baby weight." For the breast augmentation I recommend waiting at least 3-4 months after stopping breast feeding. This is usually enough time for the breasts to return to their prelactational state.

For the liposuction you will have to determine when you've lost the weight. Some patients are ready by 3-4 months and others not until a year. Only you can determine this.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation or enlargement with implants following pregancy, childbirth, lactation and nursing.

+2

This question has been asked multiple times on Realself and the answers generally vary but most surgeons will advise waiting anywhere from 3-6 months following cessation of nursing and achieving a stable weight.

The concern with placing implants prior to this is severalfold:

1. The skin has not completely contracted nor has the breast gland completely decreased in size.
  2. Placing implants in breast tissue that has recently lactated may involve passage of the implants across lactating milk ducts with a greater potential for implant colonization and/or biofilm formation and/or infection.
  3. Placing implants in breasts that have recently lactated has the potential to trigger lactation and produce ongoing milk production (called galactorrhea.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast.html

Breast augmentation

+1
Wait until you have had time to resolve weight gain, breast swelling to decrease and you skin to contract.  Usually this takes 3 to 6 months.

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Wait 6-12 months after finished breast-feeding before breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. It is recommended to wait 6-12 months before breast augmentation after finished breast-feeding.

It is also important to lose your "baby fat" before liposuction.

Usually both procedures can be done at the same time therefore waiting 6-12 months after breast-feeding cessation and when you're closer 3 times a day overweight would be the best option.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-breast-implants/boston-breast-augmentation-how-to-choose-size-of-breast-implant/

Breast augmentation and Liposuction after pregnancy....

+1

Dr. Heck prefers that you are finished breast feeding for about 3 months prior to having breast augmentation surgery to allow your breast to shrink back to their normal size. Dr. Heck prefers that you wait about 6 months prior to proceeding with liposuction so you have time to lose the excess weight from pregnancy.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation surgery with lipo after pregnancy

+1

Hi, I would recommend waiting at least three-six months after you finish breastfeeding prior to undergoing any surgery on your breasts. Regarding liposuction, your body may continue to change for six months after birth, so you may be able to have this done at the same time as your breasts.

This will really depend upon how much liposuction you need, and what the recommendations are of your plastic surgeon. Keep in mind that you will need some good help at home for a week or so during your recovery after surgery, and six month old babies love to be held. Good luck with everything, NSN.

Breast Augmentation and Liposuction after Childbirth

+1

In order to prevent complications such as infection and capsular contracture, it is important to be sure there is no residual milk in the breast ducts. I require my patients to wait at least six months after completion of breast feeding before undergoing breast augmenation surgery. If there is residual nipple discharge after cessation of breast feeding, I reccommend that surgery be delayed until 6 months have passed with no discharge at all. In addition, liposuction should be postponed until most of a woman's post-pregnancy weight loss has occurred so that the best possible contour can be attained.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3 months after breast feeding for Lipo and Breast Augmentation

+1

I would recommend waiting at least 3 months after stopping breast feeding or until you reach your prepregnancy weight or at least your goal weight. This is both for safety reasons as well as to be sure you get the results you are looking for. There is no point in having body changing surgeries while your body is still changing.

Breast aug and Lipo after pregnancy

+1

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

You should technically wait at least three months after you have had a baby, but I would pronably recommend waiting at least six months. Your body goes through a lot of changes and stages when you are pregnant and have a baby.

Give your body time to settle down and restore itself. Plus this will allow you time to bond with your baby. If you don't wait, your body will still be changing which would defeat the purpose of the breast aug and lipo.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

How long should I wait after childbirth before my Mommy Makeover?

+1

Hi there-

For the first few months after childbirth, your body will be changing as it undergoes regression of the hormones of pregnancy. The regression of breast tissue engorgement will be further delayed by breast feeding, but I'm sure you are aware that the benefits of breast feeding for your baby far outweigh this bit of additional time before your mommy makeover procedure.

Because your outcome will depend on your body having achieved a stable weight and contour again after delivery of your baby, because this takes several months,and because the requirements placed on mothers of infants would make recovery from surgery impossible (and vice versa), I recommend waiting 6 months after delivery before surgery, and 6 months from when you cease breast feeding before breast surgery.

I would look at it this way- if you proceed with surgery sooner, but don't get the outcome you wanted (because conditions were not ideal), you will always regret the rush...

Conversely, if you are able to achieve the outcome you desire, even if you have to wait a bit longer, you will forever be happy you waited, and the extra month or two won't matter to you.

You can read a bit more about selecting a situation and provider you are comfortable with here:

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#f550