Bloated Final Result from Liposuction?

Two weeks ago, my plastic surgeon removed 300cc of fluid and I was very flat. Today, on my 4th week after Liposuction, I returned to my surgeon to see if I needed to have more fluid aspirated. My abs look big and jiggles in a wave like motion. It hurts very little and feels like there's a small balloon inside. When I press one side, the other lifts.

My surgeon inserted a syringe only in one spot, but nothing came out. I no longer have a seroma, according to my surgeon. Why am I suddenly bloated? Is this my final result? Could it be pre-menstrual bloating? I look 4 months pregnant.

When all of us are saying the same thing you probably should believe it. Seromas need to be aspirated several times. If you surgeon removed 300cc the first time I guarantee that the next time he'll need to remove at least 250cc. After that it will go down but will need to be aspirated multiple times. I stop when I only get out <30-40cc.

I don't think your surgeon found the pocket and you need to go back. The longer the seroma remains the more of a capsule will be created. If it gets too bad surgery will need to be performed to remove the capsule. Good luck.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

3930 Pender Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030

You likely have a seroma

You likely have the unusual complication of a seroma which needs to be drained.  Your surgeon may need to not only drain out the fluid but leave in a tube to continually drain out the fluid.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Probably a recurrent seroma

I am sure you will have additional follow up visits with your plastic surgeon at which point he/she can perform additional aspirations.

Soimetimes an aspiration may not yield any fluid on one date and will produce more on the second attempt.

If you do not have a visit scheduled in the next week, I would contact the office to notify them of your symptoms. Review these with the assistant if he/she is not available.

Your symptoms sound very suspicious for a recurrent seroma and my guess is that the next aspiration will yield a larger amount of fluid.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

May require another attempt

Dear New,

It sounds like you have a reaccumulation of your seroma.  Sometimes the seroma can be missed with a single needle insertion site.  Your surgeon may want to take another "stab" at it from a different location.  If unsuccessful again he/she may suggest a sonogram.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD, FACS

114 E. 71st Street
New York, NY 10021

Second guessing...

Based on your very good description, you do have a seroma, and my guess is that he didn't hit the right spot with the needle.  If you don't put the needle where the fluid is, you will get a dry tap.  Have himn try again, based on physical exam.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

You need a sonogram right away.

Hi. You most likely have a large seroma. After 4 weeks, aspirating it with a needle is not enough. And it is easy to miss a seroma with a blind attempt at needle aspiration.

We would get a sonogram right away, and then we would have an interventional radiologist insert a drain into your seroma under ultrasound monitoring. Then the drain should stay in place for a week.

If a seroma becomes chronic, you may require surgery. So it is important to deal with this promptly.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Still sounds like a seroma

Your verbal description is classic for a seroma.  It is possible that your surgeon missed the fluid pocket and that you still have a lake of fluid needing drainage.  An ultrasound will confirm if this is the case.  Discuss this with your doctor.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

I'd bet you still have a seroma

Some times there are septations in a seroma that make them harder to access. It may take several different puncture sites, or as mentioned, an ultrasound to access the seroma.

I would return to your surgeon and tell him or her your concerns and I'll bet it can be taken care of.

Good Luck.

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

1345 A Westgate Center Drive
Winston Salem, NC 27103

Seroma likely

It certainly sounds as if you have a seroma. It is hard to imagine that a single aspiration of 300 ccs. would be enough to permanently cure an existing seroma. Of course, it also be difficult to get a needle in just the right space to find a shrinking seroma especially if there is fear of causing damage or injury. An ultrasound would be indicated if a seroma is suspected but not easily located by a blind needle.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Post Op Bloating with Liposuction

Dear Anewme, what type of liposuction did you have?

it sounds like there is still some fluid remaining- difficult to tell without an exam of your tummy. You may have an ultrasound done to confirm this and the radiologist can put in a needle to drain the fluid.

It is necessary sometimes to insert a drain for a period of a few days to weeks to stop the collection of fluid.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

199 Avenue Road
Toronto, Ontario M5R 2J3