Bloated Final Result from Liposuction?

Two weeks ago, my plastic surgeon removed 300cc of fluid and I was very flat. Today, on my 4th week after Liposuction, I returned to my surgeon to see if I needed to have more fluid aspirated. My abs look big and jiggles in a wave like motion. It hurts very little and feels like there's a small balloon inside. When I press one side, the other lifts.

My surgeon inserted a syringe only in one spot, but nothing came out. I no longer have a seroma, according to my surgeon. Why am I suddenly bloated? Is this my final result? Could it be pre-menstrual bloating? I look 4 months pregnant.

Seroma

+1

When all of us are saying the same thing you probably should believe it. Seromas need to be aspirated several times. If you surgeon removed 300cc the first time I guarantee that the next time he'll need to remove at least 250cc. After that it will go down but will need to be aspirated multiple times. I stop when I only get out <30-40cc.

I don't think your surgeon found the pocket and you need to go back. The longer the seroma remains the more of a capsule will be created. If it gets too bad surgery will need to be performed to remove the capsule. Good luck.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

You likely have a seroma

+1

You likely have the unusual complication of a seroma which needs to be drained.  Your surgeon may need to not only drain out the fluid but leave in a tube to continually drain out the fluid.  Good luck.

Probably a recurrent seroma

+1

I am sure you will have additional follow up visits with your plastic surgeon at which point he/she can perform additional aspirations.

Soimetimes an aspiration may not yield any fluid on one date and will produce more on the second attempt.

If you do not have a visit scheduled in the next week, I would contact the office to notify them of your symptoms. Review these with the assistant if he/she is not available.

Your symptoms sound very suspicious for a recurrent seroma and my guess is that the next aspiration will yield a larger amount of fluid.

May require another attempt

+1

Dear New,

It sounds like you have a reaccumulation of your seroma.  Sometimes the seroma can be missed with a single needle insertion site.  Your surgeon may want to take another "stab" at it from a different location.  If unsuccessful again he/she may suggest a sonogram.  Good luck!

Second guessing...

+1

Based on your very good description, you do have a seroma, and my guess is that he didn't hit the right spot with the needle.  If you don't put the needle where the fluid is, you will get a dry tap.  Have himn try again, based on physical exam.

sek

You need a sonogram right away.

+1

Hi. You most likely have a large seroma. After 4 weeks, aspirating it with a needle is not enough. And it is easy to miss a seroma with a blind attempt at needle aspiration.

We would get a sonogram right away, and then we would have an interventional radiologist insert a drain into your seroma under ultrasound monitoring. Then the drain should stay in place for a week.

If a seroma becomes chronic, you may require surgery. So it is important to deal with this promptly.

Still sounds like a seroma

+1

Your verbal description is classic for a seroma.  It is possible that your surgeon missed the fluid pocket and that you still have a lake of fluid needing drainage.  An ultrasound will confirm if this is the case.  Discuss this with your doctor.

I'd bet you still have a seroma

+1

Some times there are septations in a seroma that make them harder to access. It may take several different puncture sites, or as mentioned, an ultrasound to access the seroma.

I would return to your surgeon and tell him or her your concerns and I'll bet it can be taken care of.

Good Luck.

Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Seroma likely

+1

It certainly sounds as if you have a seroma. It is hard to imagine that a single aspiration of 300 ccs. would be enough to permanently cure an existing seroma. Of course, it also be difficult to get a needle in just the right space to find a shrinking seroma especially if there is fear of causing damage or injury. An ultrasound would be indicated if a seroma is suspected but not easily located by a blind needle.

Post Op Bloating with Liposuction

+1

Dear Anewme, what type of liposuction did you have?

it sounds like there is still some fluid remaining- difficult to tell without an exam of your tummy. You may have an ultrasound done to confirm this and the radiologist can put in a needle to drain the fluid.

It is necessary sometimes to insert a drain for a period of a few days to weeks to stop the collection of fluid.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD