Is Liposuction Beneficial for my Large Abdomen/waist?

I was athletic until my two past pregnancies and lack of exercise. I still look pregnant, but I can feel my muscle underneath. I'm able to suck my stomach in by a few inches but it's so difficult to shrink it. Shapewear helps to disguise it. I've had a c-section but I do not want a tummy tuck because of the scar. Is liposuction beneficial for my large abdomen/waist? Thank you

Tummytuck vs. lipo

+2

Trading a problem for a scar is what every woman faces in this scenario. Only you can make that choice. The results are clearly better with a tummytuck. You may accept less improvement without the scar. Make sure to view photos with a board certified plastic surgeon

Abdominoplasty vs. liposuction

+2

Your posted photos show a protuberant abdomen with a small hanging apron of lower abdominal skin/fat hanging over the upper edge of your undergarment. There is also excess fat under the skin above and below the belly button level and loose abdominal muscle. Clearly liposuction alone would be beneficial but it will not give you a flat abdomen as it will not get rid of the excess skin or loose muscle. If you do not mind that there is no reason why you could not undergo a liposuction procedure only. It would not interfere with the performance of an abdominoplasty in the future.

The best advice I could give you though is to avoid surgeons or fake surgeons who promise you skin shrinkage and muscle tightening via aggressive liposuction alone like the plague. The complication rate from that includes dead skin, is very high and can be impossible to correct.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

If you can only reshape your abdomen a small amount when you suck it in and you can feel your abdominal muscles easily I think your issue is one of intra-abdominal fat and that cannot be fixed with liposuction. That will be diet and exercise.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck Versus Liposuction

+1

Based on your pictures, it appears that a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will be the best procedure for you.  You have too much loose skin to expect complete contraction and I am afraid that with liposuction alone you will have residual loose skin.  Only tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) can address your skin.  While you may be afraid of the incision, I think most would agree that a hidden incision under your panties is much better than a large stomach hanging over your pants.  However, it is an individual choice for you and your body.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Abdominal contour surgery

+1

Your description and photos suggest that you need several things. First, it would be best to get down to your goal weight. From your description it sound slike you may need muscle tightening as well. You  may need a tummy tuck. Liposuction alone is probably not going to achieve what you want.

Abdominal contouring surgery following pregnancy

+1

After two full term pregnancies you have a combination of localized fat and skin laxity.  There is probably an element of muscle relaxation present also, but this can only be evaluated with a physical exam.  From your appearance in the photo,  a more aesthetic tightened abdominal contour can be achieved with a tummy tuck which can tighten the skin and abdominal wall, as well as remove unwanted fat, however this can only be decided when you visit with a plastic surgeon who can perform an adequate physical exam.  It is most likely that liposuction alone will leave you with significant looseness in the skin, which you would need to be prepared for if you choose this an an option. 

Diane L. Gibby, MD

Liposuction for a pregnant-appearing abdomen

+1

The best answer I can give you is to consult with a Board-Certified plastic surgeon to assess where your fatty tissue "lives." If it is under your skin, you may qualify for lipo. If it seems like the fat is under your muscles inside your abdomen, then weight loss will be necessary, as this fat cannot be treated surgically. It looks like you may have significant muscle laxity which is best treated with a tummy tuck. To see a dramatic result, sometimes you need a scar, which may be the case here. You should look at some examples of tummy tuck scars. You may find the scar is well worth the contour you can achieve with tummy tuck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I doubt that you will be happy with the results of liposuction surgery. This surgery will likely leave you with redundant skin and may make it so that you are uncomfortable removing your clothes.

As you know, a tummy tuck procedure will address the real issues at hand.

Please make sure you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons;  otherwise, I am concerned that you will undergo procedures you will be dissatisfied with.

Liposuction can help, but

+1

Liposuction can help a full abdomen, but in someone with a lot of extra skin that has poor tone liposuction alone can sometime leave the skin even looser.  It is a judgement call as to whether a patient will benefit from suctioning alone or will need some skin resection such as a tummy tuck.  There defenitely is a scar with a tummy tuck but it usually is such that it is concealed beneath a bathing suit or underwear.

Good Luck,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will make your abdomen a lot smaller, but you may have some loose skin.

+1

Hi.

I am a great believer in liposuction of the abdomen, and, when done correctly, it can tighten the skin   But your side view suggests that you are pushing the limits of this approach, because you have quite a bit of hanging skin.  I think you would be happier with a tummy tuck.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)