How Do I Decide Between Liposuction of Entire Abdomen or Just Lower Abdomen and Belly Button Area? (photo)

I scheduled a lipo for my belly the 12 of december, my surgeon said it would be enough to do the lower part of the belly and just a little around the belly button for getting a nice result. now Im afraid of getting a bulge on my upper part of the belly since he is not going to do the lipo allover. so should i tell him to do the whole belly or just stick with his opinion???

How Do I Decide Between Liposuction of Entire Abdomen or Just Lower Abdomen and Belly Button Area?

+1

Although there might not be as much in the upper abdomen, I prefer to do the entire abdomen in order to get the skin to redrape properly. Limiting the area of suction can leave areas of step offs as feathering can be difficult.

Liposuction of the lower or entire abdomen

+1

In order for you to get a good result, the liposuction has to be gently contoured around the edges of the area that you want the most benefit. It is okay to have liposuction of the lower abdomen, but some liposuction around the belly button with gentle feathering in the upper abdomen will be necessary to achieve an even contour.  If you are going to have all this done, you might as well have liposuction of the upper and lower abdomen. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Avoiding dysharmony after liposuction

+1

While liposuction can be performed successfully on isolated areas, one must be careful to maintain balance with the surrounding zones. Base on your photos, you will have a very nice result with liposuction of the lower abdomen, but your upper abdomen may appear to be disproportionate if not addressed. Blending the suctioning through your upper abdomen as well as waist line will certainly help you to achieve a well balanced natural post-op result. Best of luck Dr. Renucci

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Abdomen: All or Partial?

+1

I generally advise, and would do so in your case, that an entire area be addressed, rather than arbitrarily drawing a line where the surgery will start.  While most of your fat is in the area surrounding the belly button (BB), with more below than above, you have at least a small amount of fat that extends superiorly (upward) almost up to the ribcage. I would advise treating (ie, having liposuction of) the entire area, as indicated.  That means more where your surgeon is currently planning to work, but not limiting to that.   Tapering the edges, also referred to as "feathering," and treating entire body units (if having the stomach done are you also considering the love-handles?) is part of what I usually recommend to produce and maintain balance.  There are no absolutes or "wrong" answers but - since you asked....

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction of Abdomen?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures I think you will have a very nice results with liposuction surgery.  Ask your surgeon to “blend” liposuction of the abdomen for a harmonious result.

Personally I almost always treat the entire abdomen to achieve the best result.

+1

If you are not sure what to do, get a second or third opinion for several other respected liposuction specialists in your area.  I personally almost always treat the entire abdomen when I to this procedure.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

You can't do a good job on the abdomen unless you do the whole abdomen.

+1

Liposuction needs to be done on the whole abdomen to make it smooth and even and blend into the  surrounding areas.  It is true that only doing the lower abdomen will result in bulges in the upper abdomen that will look weird later.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon