Will Liposuction Cause Loose Skin on Abdomen with a Lot of Fat?

I had 5 kids and I have a belly but it's not sagging, my skin is kind of tight but I have a belly. I don't want a tummy tuck so is Liposuction enough? Will I have loose skin after the Lipo procedure?

Liposuction, tummy tuck, abdominal contouring

+1

Dear Xoticbeauty

Liposuction will be effective if you have extra fat in the area. This can only be determined by a clinical exam. If you have good skin tone then the chance of having any loosness after surgery is very unlikely.

Liposuction can be done by a variety of techniques with exellent results.

There are non-surgical options that will be coming to market- Zetiq, Liposonix and Ultrashape- which may be a good choice also,

Woth Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Will Liposuction cause loose skin on abdomen with a lot of fat?

+1

Your question may be more accurately answered if photographs showing your concerns were attached. It is hard to buy clothing for someone without knowing their size or cook a meal without knowing what ingredients are available.

A possible indicator is to see if you have "stretch marks" on your skin. In my experience, patients with stretch marks do not have skin that will snap back unless your in your 20-30's. In certain cases, you can remove fat and have the skin snap back. This is not typical given what I "think" you look like

. In addition, the laxity of the tissue around your "abs" called the fascia maybe loose. A great deal depends on your expectations. If you want to look like you had a tummy tuck be just undergo liposuction, you may be unhappy.

Michael Kulick, MD

Liposuction of the abdomen

+1

Many people with tight skin will have wonderful retraction of the skin after the liposuction. If your skin has good elasticity that’s a good sign that you will not have sagging skin after the procedure. Your surgeon should be able to tell you if you are a good candidate. Some people with very large bellies, will get sagging skin and need an abdominoplasty also, which can be done after you heal from the liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD

My Guess is That You Need a Tummy Tuck

+1

I say this because you have had 5 kids. Not only will this stretch the skin, it will also cause muscle laxity. Liposuction will have little if any beneficial effect on the skin integrity and no effect on tightening the muscles.

Liposuction alone may still help, but a tummy tuck will be the "gold standard" for skin tightening and muscle sculpting.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Liposuction of the abdomen.

+1

Hi!

Bear in mind that I have not examined you. But based on my rather long experience, I think you should try liposuction.

Dr. Gasparotti from Italy showed years ago that SUPERFICIAL liposuction (as well as deep) will actually tighten the abdominal skin. We use a technique of superficial microtunnelling at the end of liposuction that helps to tighten the skin.

Liposuction is so much easier to recover from, and there is no significant scar.

And you haven't burnt any bridges. You can always have a tummy tuck in the future. But I have not seen a need for this in properly selected patients.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Laser liposuction helps tighten skin as well as remove fat

+1

If as you say your skin is firm and not sagging and you only have excess fat on your tummy then liposuction may be the answer.

Very large excess fat deposits that are liposuctioned often leave loose skin behind and tummy tuck is necessary.

A good experienced board certified plastic surgeon needs to examine you and give you an opinion.

In my experience laser liposuction with Slimlipo can significantly tighten skin during and after the liposuction procedure when moderate--but no large , amounts of fat are treated.

See before and after photos of Slim Lipo and Tummy Tuck.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Liposuction isn't good after 5 kids

+1

Liposuction requires good skin elasticity for a good result.  After 5 kids, surely your skin is less elastic than ideal and your muscles have also stretched from pregnancies. These are not changed by lipo either.  Most likely you really need a tummy tuck to get a nice tight flat abdomen.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction versus tummy tuck after 5 kids

+1

If you're like most women, with each pregnancy, the skin of the abdominal wall loses its inherent elasticity. This prevents it from recoiling and re-draping well after fat removal alone. In addition, each pregnancy tends to cause increasing laxity (looseness) of the abdominal wall muscles. This causes a bulge, as the intraabdominal contents push out.

That being said, you may be an appropriate candidate for liposuction, as long as your goals are realistic. Liposuction may allow you to look better while wearing clothes, but may cause more loose skin, making you dislike your appearance out of clothes. It's also possible that you're one of those rare women whose skin and muscles have not suffered from your pregnancies.

Best best is a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. He or she will be able to be able to give you a realistic idea of your aesthetic outcomes after liposuction versus a tummy tuck. Best of luck!

Sam Jejurikar, MD