Liposuction and the Perfect Body?

After I have liposuction, should I also plan to have a tummy tuck to address the issue of loose skin? I associate liposuction with dreams of a perfect body, but will my body look right after the fat is removed?

Looking better, not "perfect"

If you have an excessive amount of loose skin that you're concerned about, it's better to just get a tummy tuck and not liposuction in the first place. 
Cosmetic surgery is designed to make you look better, and it's hard to say if you will look "perfect". It's not about perfection. It's about looking better. Please talk to your surgeon openly and honestly about your expectations.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652

Liposuction and loose skin?

The answer to your question depends on the condition of your skin and its ability to "snap back" after liposuction.  I can't answer this without at least a photo.  I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation and evaluation. If the skin will not shrink back on it's own, yes, a tummy tuck may be necessary to remove the excess skin. Best wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

2103 Crestmoor Road
Nashville, TN 37215

Liposuction and the Perfect Body

Perfect is hard to get - in anything.  And that certainly applies to surgery.  Instead, you should assess your own body and the advantages and disadvantages of the available procedures.  Lipo is appropriate for patients who have excess fat but generally good skin tone; a TT when there is relatively more excess skin than excess fat.  Neither is necessarily perfect but both are excellent procedures.  So the questions really are what do you look like now, and what are you willing to undergo?  Lipo may leave excess or dimply skin; a TT will leave a scar.  Which is perfect?  I would suggest that you visit a few PS to get different ideas of which options are most beneficial for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

122 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Skin after liposuction

how well the skin will shrink after liposuction depends greatly on the quality of the skin and the amount  of fat removed. The more fat and the poorer quality of skin, te more likely you will have loose skin after the liposuction. You should look at liposuction as something that will improve your shape, but not look for the perfect body.

Julio Garcia, MD

6020 South Rainbow Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Liposuction and the Perfect Body?

Lipo works but can cause waviness to the skin in some individuals so a skin tightening procedure might be needed to get the absolute best result (perfect? It really depends on what area is being treated and your age and quality of your skin. Abdomen and inner thighs...prone to waviness...Hips, less so...Age? After 40 more waviness...many factors involved...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

10210 North 92nd Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Liposuction and the Perfect Body?

Thank you for your question.  However, photos or a direct physical examination will be needed to answer your question.  We do SmartLipo and that helps with skin tightening but there are limits as to how much.  If you have too much loose skin to start out with, you may need a tummy tuck as a secondary procedure.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

2419 W. Kennedy Blvd
Tampa, FL 33609

Perfect body and liposuction

No one has the perfect body. Everyone always has some small issues that they are unhappy about.  Liposuction can address excess fatty components, and a tummy tuck can address loose skin and a diastasis of the muscles.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Perfect Body after Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

Before you consider any surgery, make sure you have realist expectations. A perfect body is seen in magazines where the images are manipulated to make imperfections and normal variations disappear. In reality, there are few "perfect bodies" and surgery may not be the best way to do it. If you do have realistic expectations, then you need to be evaluated by a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can determine the  likelihood of needing a tummy tuck after liposuction. This will depend on your age, skin and abdominal muscle quality and overall medical condition.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

The Perfect Body?

The "perfect body", pursued daily by all plastic surgeons throughout our professional careers, is a nebulous concept.  Some would contend that your body before any surgery is perfect, because it is the one that nature, in its perfect wisdom, granted you.  If you are seeking popular society's idea of perfection, plastic surgery can help, but the ability of cosmetic procedures to provide this sought after perfection is limited, and depends mostly upon your starting point.  Liposuction treats localized excess fat, and tummy tuck also treats well defined problems, and has established indications.  These procedures are adjuncts to healthy diet and regular exercise to achieve overall appearance goals.  Without photos and/or personal examination, it is impossible to comment more specifically.

Steve Laverson, MD

477 North El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024

Liposuction and perfect body

I think photos would really help. Liposuction alone does not remove skin.  If you have had children or significant weight fluctuations then you will probably need skin removal as well but that is hard to say without seeing you.  If you have  a lot of stretch marks then a tummy tuck is probably a better option.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

10791 Double R Boulevard
Reno, NV 89521