Liposuction and the Perfect Body?

After I have liposuction, should I also plan to have a tummy tuck to address the issue of loose skin? I associate liposuction with dreams of a perfect body, but will my body look right after the fat is removed?

Liposuction and loose skin?

+1

The answer to your question depends on the condition of your skin and its ability to "snap back" after liposuction.  I can't answer this without at least a photo.  I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation and evaluation. If the skin will not shrink back on it's own, yes, a tummy tuck may be necessary to remove the excess skin. Best wishes.

Liposuction and the Perfect Body

+1

Perfect is hard to get - in anything.  And that certainly applies to surgery.  Instead, you should assess your own body and the advantages and disadvantages of the available procedures.  Lipo is appropriate for patients who have excess fat but generally good skin tone; a TT when there is relatively more excess skin than excess fat.  Neither is necessarily perfect but both are excellent procedures.  So the questions really are what do you look like now, and what are you willing to undergo?  Lipo may leave excess or dimply skin; a TT will leave a scar.  Which is perfect?  I would suggest that you visit a few PS to get different ideas of which options are most beneficial for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Skin after liposuction

+1

how well the skin will shrink after liposuction depends greatly on the quality of the skin and the amount  of fat removed. The more fat and the poorer quality of skin, te more likely you will have loose skin after the liposuction. You should look at liposuction as something that will improve your shape, but not look for the perfect body.

Julio Garcia, MD

Liposuction and the Perfect Body?

+1

Lipo works but can cause waviness to the skin in some individuals so a skin tightening procedure might be needed to get the absolute best result (perfect?....no). It really depends on what area is being treated and your age and quality of your skin. Abdomen and inner thighs...prone to waviness...Hips, less so...Age? After 40 more waviness...many factors involved...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and the Perfect Body?

+1

Thank you for your question.  However, photos or a direct physical examination will be needed to answer your question.  We do SmartLipo and that helps with skin tightening but there are limits as to how much.  If you have too much loose skin to start out with, you may need a tummy tuck as a secondary procedure.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Perfect body and liposuction

+1

No one has the perfect body. Everyone always has some small issues that they are unhappy about.  Liposuction can address excess fatty components, and a tummy tuck can address loose skin and a diastasis of the muscles.

Perfect Body after Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

Before you consider any surgery, make sure you have realist expectations. A perfect body is seen in magazines where the images are manipulated to make imperfections and normal variations disappear. In reality, there are few "perfect bodies" and surgery may not be the best way to do it. If you do have realistic expectations, then you need to be evaluated by a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can determine the  likelihood of needing a tummy tuck after liposuction. This will depend on your age, skin and abdominal muscle quality and overall medical condition.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

The Perfect Body?

+1

The "perfect body", pursued daily by all plastic surgeons throughout our professional careers, is a nebulous concept.  Some would contend that your body before any surgery is perfect, because it is the one that nature, in its perfect wisdom, granted you.  If you are seeking popular society's idea of perfection, plastic surgery can help, but the ability of cosmetic procedures to provide this sought after perfection is limited, and depends mostly upon your starting point.  Liposuction treats localized excess fat, and tummy tuck also treats well defined problems, and has established indications.  These procedures are adjuncts to healthy diet and regular exercise to achieve overall appearance goals.  Without photos and/or personal examination, it is impossible to comment more specifically.

Steve Laverson, MD

Liposuction and perfect body

+1

I think photos would really help. Liposuction alone does not remove skin.  If you have had children or significant weight fluctuations then you will probably need skin removal as well but that is hard to say without seeing you.  If you have  a lot of stretch marks then a tummy tuck is probably a better option.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Consultation and Examination would be necessary to make recommendations

+1

Hi there-

While I do believe that well-selected patients can often achieve amazing improvements in their body's appearance in the hands of ethical, experienced surgeons Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, even the best of us would need to meet you to discuss your goals and examine you carefully before being able to make even basic recommendations...

I would recommend that you visit a surgeon in your area for an opinion.

Remember- your chances if safety and happiness will depend most on who you let operate on you, and NOT on which machine they use, and I would specifically avoid those who try to make you believe you'll have a better experience or outcome because of the machine they use... If they need to sell you on the machine they use or give the procedure a cute name ("Aqualipo!"), I would have to wonder about their skills as a liposuction surgeon, and more importantly, about their sense of ethics.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS