Am I a Candidate For Lipo If I Don't Have Loose Skin, Just Extra Fat and Stretch Marks?

Hi, I'm a mother of one; it'll be two years in December since I've had my daughter..., She literally littered me in stretch marks! I am considering getting a Brazilian Butt Lift &nd I would like for my abdomen to be one of the harvest sites. I was wondering if I would be considered a candidate for liposuction in that area if i have stretch marks but my skin is not at ALL loose. I am basically flat, it's jus that stubborn fat pocket on my lower abdomen&flanks that i want to get rid of. Thanks ;)

Brazilian butt lift candidate for surgery

+2

Having stretch marks in your abdomen or in any part of the body is not a contraindication to have the Brazilian but augmentation. The most important thing is how much fat you have and if the amount of fat that you have is enough to accomplish your desired results. Only a physical exam with your plastic surgeon will be able to determine if you would be a good candidate for surgery.

Liposuction in areas of stretch marks

+2

Taking your evaluation at face value, if your skin is tight then you can absolutely remove fat from the area. I would recommend having your doctor examine you to determine if the skin is adequately tight enough in light of the stretch marks you comment upon. 

At the end of the day you will have to decide if slightly looser skin of your abdomen but better contour of your abdomen and buttocks are worth it. Again, this is a conversation to have with a doctor you trust. 

Jay Burns, MD

Liposuction in an Area with Stretch Marks for Fat Transfer

+2

Stretch marks are a sign that your skin has lost elasticity.  If the skin in your abdomen has lots of striae (stretch marks) then you may not get smooth skin after liposuction.  Taking fat from your abdomen to place in your buttock can work well.  Let your plastic surgeon help you decide about the best donor site for your fat grafting.  It may be a judgement call.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Candidates for liposuction should not have loose skin

+2

The donor site for fat transfer for a butt lift can depend on where any suitable donor area might be. Loose skin is a harbinger for problems from liposuction in any area. The stretch marks won't hold you back, but loose skin would make the area a poor choice.

peterejohnsonmd

Caution with lipo where there are stretch marks

+2

Stretch marks are tears in the structural layer of the skin so they are a sign of laxity. If there isn't a lot of fat to remove in the area and the skin doesn't feel loose, it might work but only a plastic surgeon who examines you in person can make that determination. Since you are considering using the fat for transfer with the Brazilian lift, it may be worth askking about a procedure called "lipoabdominoplasty" which is popular in Brazil.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

A good liposuction candidate is a patient who presents with diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue isolated to specific areas. These patients are not  looking for a weight loss solution.  
Good skin elasticity is also an important  attribute  of the patient undergoing liposuction surgery. As we age or gain/lose weight we generally  lose some skin elasticity. After the liposuction procedure we are depending on the skin elasticity to allow the skin envelope to “shrink” to fit the reduced contour resulting from the liposuction procedure.

Based on your description,  with the presence of significant stretch marks, I am concerned about your skin elasticity and potential problems with retraction of the skin.  Be careful you don't end up with the regular  and unsightly, while skin…