How Old Do You Have to Be to Get Liposuction and Breast Reduction?

I'm really unhappy with my body due to starving myself then not etc I have tried diets and the gym I go 3 times a week or more and have been for 3 years yet the weight just won't come off its mostly my tummy and hips and for my boobs I didn't really wear bra's with support for awhile I'm 16 and I was hoping to get surgery while I was in florida but would I be able to put my body in the sun or go on rides afterwards ( going for 3 weeks would probably get surgery in the first week if I could)

Age and Liposuction/Breast Reduction

+2

The generally minimum age for liposuction and breast reduction is 18. You should stabilize your weight prior to considering surgery, and develop sensible eating habits that will allow you to maintain the results post surgery. When you are ready, consult with 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.

Age and Plastic Surgery

+2

As a plastic surgeon who focuses largely on health and wellness, let me start by saying you are doing no favors to your body by yo-yo dieting and starving yourself. Your body needs fuel, especially at your age and especially if you are spending time in the gym. Studies show that people who eat right and exercise have a better chance of losing weight than those who starve themselves. Rather than focusing on how much you eat, I would suggest focusing on eating healthy foods.

With that said, plastic surgery for minors is very controversial. Because of your age, your body is still developing. Breast reduction surgery on patients of your age are more common than other procedures because overly large breasts can cause neck and back pain on top of embarrassment, but should only be pursued after very careful consideration between the patient and their parents. Liposuction is much less common among minors because there is rarely a medical need for it, and liposuction should not be pursued as a method for weight loss. A quality plastic surgeon should only perform plastic surgery on a minor if they were emotionally healthy and understand the procedure, recovery, and risks.

If you do pursue surgery, seek a board certified plastic surgeon. I would advise against having surgery during your trip to Florida. After breast reduction surgery, one to two weeks of extremely limited activity should be expected (no work, school, and definitely no rides). You will be able to resume physical activity about a month following breast reduction surgery. Liposuction recovery is slightly longer than breast reduction recovery. Liposuction patients are also required to wear a compression garment for 6 weeks to maintain results and reduce swelling, so you wouldn’t be enjoying much time at the beach.

Age

+2
Depending on the surgeon that you would go to, but most like their patients to be over 18. After surgery we like you to stay away from the sun for at least a few months. The least amount of sun to your incision the better your scar will be.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.