Liposuction Alternatives for the Pubic Region?

I want to know if there are alternative options other than Liposuction to reduce fat in my pubic region. It has been over 3 months since I had liposuction done to my thighs and legs, one year since I had a Tummy Tuck, and my pubic region ended up getting bigger with each treatment. I have waited for the swelling to go down and do not really want to have to do another treatment, but it is noticable whenever I wear dresses or yoga pants. Other people have even made comments so I know it's not just me. I know sometimes people have to get lipo to that area but is there another option?

Liposuction after tummy tuck

Liposuction is the answer...

Think about removed fat from your stomach and your thighs, but not your pubic region. Once the tummy tuck was done, the pubic area was no longer covered by your lower stomach. Everything around it was flattened and tightened, so it can be expected to look prominent.

It is a highly personal and intimate area, and I am loathe to bring it up and embarrass patients. But in reality I think this is a very comon problem.

1301 20th St
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Liposuction of the mons

Thank you for your question.  I do think that liposuction would provide you with the best result. You've done contouring of other parts of the body, and removing some volume from the Mons will provide the best aesthetic outcome. If you really want to avoid surgery, you can try Kybella.  It has recently been approved for submental fullness. However it can be used in other areas to dissolve fat. 

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Pubic area not to be ignored

When performing body contouring procedures, the pubic area should not be ignored.  Fat and/or skin should be removed during the procedure.  However, it is not unusual to need "touch up" procedures to improve the results of the initial procedure.  Please discuss this matter with your plastic surgeon to formulate a game plan.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

4911 South 118 Street
Omaha, NE 68137

Options for Contouring the Pubic Region

The two main options for reducing excess fat and excess lax skin in the mons pubis are liposuction and a mons pubis lift (monsplasty). Sometimes both may be required. If you have had liposuction of the abdomen and gain significant weight, areas that were not treated may get larger. If no weight has been gained, you're probably just seeing the relative contrast between areas that were treated and areas that were not treated.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

350 Kennedy Boulevard
Bayonne, NJ 07002

Pubic Region Options for Loose Skin & Fat Accumulation

We occasionally see patients who’ve undergone abdominoplasty surgery and are unhappy with the appearance of their pubic region. This occurs for a variety of reasons including saggy skin, excess fat, and adverse abdominoplasty scarring. The treatment of aesthetic deformities of the pubic region is dependent upon the cause of the condition.

In the majority of postoperative patients with aesthetic deformities of the pubus, liposuction alone providers adequate treatment. When fat collections are accompanied by loose saggy skin, additional maneuvers may be necessary. In this case, the pubic skin may require an upward lift with simultaneous tightening of the skin. These options provide excellent aesthetic results and are associated with low complication rates.

If you’re concerned about the appearance of your pubic region following abdominoplasty, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate. Your surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Usually a combination of liposuction and skin excision is the answer to fullness of the mons area.

Just performing liposuction in the area can leave you with loose skin.  Since you've already had a tummy tuck you would not be adding any further scars.  I can understand how frustrating this must be for you and correction is definitely possible.  You  should wait at least 1 year after your tummy tuck before deciding on surgical correction.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

1243 Islington Ave
Toronto, Ontario M8X 1Y9

Liposuction or other option for suprpubic fat

The suprapubic fat is the inferior portion of the "pooch." This area, below the incision of the tummy tuck, must be addressed at the time of tummy tuck. Often the skin flap in a tummy tuck is "defatted" during the procedure. That is, the fat below Scarpa's fascia (you don't need to know what that is) is removed. This results in a height discrepancy between the suprapubic skin and the abdominal skin flap. And in the end leads to a convexity of the suprapubic skin.

So if everything is okay otherwise than you need this area liposuctioned. As far as I'm concerned this evening of the abdominal contour is part of the abdominoplasty. I recommend going back to your surgeon and asking why he/she didn't complete the first surgery. They should cover the surgeons' s fee for this surgery and the OR/anesthesia is done in an outpatient surgical setting.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

3930 Pender Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030

Pubis fat removal

From the manner in which you ask you question, I assume you are asking if there are any successful non-surgical methods of fat removal from the pubis.

Generally their are multiple claims including mesotherapy, radiofrequency devices, external ultrasound, etc. However, these rarely and consistently meet with satisfied patients. Therefore the only successful methods typicall involve surgery with liposuction or direct excision.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Liposuction of the pubic area under local aneshesia is simple and easy

After a tummy tuck there often is fat just above the scar and below the scar which needs liposuction to make it look smooth. This can be done in a very short time under local anesthesia with no downtime at all and is so easy for you to undergo. It is a quick in and out procedure that runs about $1500 and is sooo worth it. An alternative is Zerona laser which run about $2500 and may not get it all the way down but helps.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

9201 W Sunset Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90069

Pubis Liposuction

Liposuction of the pubis area is a fairly common procedure, specially when the pubis is full and patient is underoing an abdominoplasty procedure.

So, you may be a good candidate for liposuction alone. Some patients, especially the massive weight loss patients may require more than just liposuction. These patients at times require what is called a mons plasty, which is a procedure where the size of the entire mons is reduced with skin excision.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

10861 Cherry Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720