When Can I Have Liposuction After a Tummy Tuck?

i had my tummy tuck in jan, this year, 2011. i still feel that i need some lipo, as i have skin bulging above my scar line. how soon could i have liposuction in this area?.

Liposuction after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would suggest that you wait 6 months after your tummy tuck surgery to have liposuction surgery of the abdomen done.

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+1

It is reasonable to wait six weeks following a tummy tuck to do liposuction.  If you are treating areas distant from the abdomen, you would be able to do the liposuction even sooner, if desired.  Your board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best person to help you decide the extent and timing of your procedures.

David Stoker, MD

Tummy tucks in BMIs near 40

+1

Six months would be a good time to do a liposuction after a tummy tuck. It may be done earlier, but the swelling may make it hard to judged where it is needed. its safe to o but its not smart to do it before the dust has settled.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

+1

Having a bulge immediately over the tummy tuck scar line MAY suggest that the edge of the tummy skin and fat which was left behind to be stitched to the lower wound edge was not de-fatted sufficiently to match that of the lower edge.

Although 6-8 months are advanced as the dates when liposuction could carry out it is important to consider WHAT we as surgeons are looking for before embarking on liposuction. Two things; First, the tissues need to fully recover, be soft, pliable without swelling or any inflammatory thickness and secondly, we want the blood supply from below the incision to incorporate the area of skin and fat above the incision to ensure quick and complication free healing. Some people get there faster than others. It is best to operate when the conditions for healing seem optimal.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Secondary Liposuction Refinement After A Tummy Tuck

+1

As a general rule, you should wait at least 6 months after your tummy tuck before proceeding with some liposuction refinement. This gives the tissues plenty of time to relax and settle so you can see the final contours obtained from the procedure. It is not uncommon at all to do liposuction after a tummy tuck, particularly in the upper abdomen, above and along the scar line and into the flank and back area. I counsel all my tummy tuck patients that about 10% to 20% will desire such secondary liposuction refining. Those at greater risk are tummy tuck patients that have a thicker trunk and fatty layer under the skin initially.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction after tummy tucks is not that uncommon.

+1

Liposuction can usually be done around 6 months after your tummy tuck and is not that uncommon since many patients heal with that roll just above the tummy tuck scar and also they need upper abdomen liposuctioning to flatten the whole tummy.  Always check with your tummy tuck surgeon 1st..  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon