Liposuction for Weight Gain Following Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I had abdominoplasty 6 yrs ago (I am 50 y.o. now)... the result was good but left me with "dog ears."  My surgeon did it again and corrected it.  I was happy, but since then have gained a lot of weight and am considering lipo. Can I get just the lipo without doing the tuck again?  Do you think I should go to the same surgeon for lipo as for my second-time's-the-charm tummy tuck?  If the dog ear problem is a typical one, I won't worry about it too much...  What would you do?

Lipo may leave loose skin

+3

Liposuction after tummy tuck unfortunately is a common clinical situation. I would go back to your first surgeon for evaluation. Dog ear revisions are extremely common. If you still have a good amount of stretch marks, liposuction may leave you with saggy deflated skin. The first thing your surgeon should tell you however is that you probably need to lose some weight to make whatever procedure you choose safer to perform. Body contouring procedures on overweight patients frankly rarely look good in the end. They are designed to be finalization procedures once the patient has gotten their body to a steady state where they are happy with the majority of what they see. They are not designed to be weight-loss operations because liposuction doesn't remove much weight at all. Fat is very light. Good luck.

Dr. Shah
www.drmanishshah.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and then Liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be done after a tummy tuck. If there is a lot ot suction, you may not get the rebound that you want and there may be excess skin as well. Hard to tell without examining you.

From what you said... the same surgeon seems fine

+1

Dog ears after abdominoplasty are not uncommon. If you were happy with the revision and the result, then the surgeon probably did a good job. Your weight gain will increase fat and stretch the abdominal skin. Some patients can do well with just liposuction, but may need to have an abdominoplasty revision in the future to remove the extra skin.

If you already have extra skin now, it will likely not "contract" after liposuction, and you will need a revision abdominoplasty. This is something that cannot be determined vial the internet. You should definitely discuss this with your surgeon and decide which one of the two procedures should be performed.

In summary, I think you can stay with the same surgeon and come to a decision as to which procedure you would need. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

It is fine to just do liposuction and see how it turns out on its own.

+1

You've had a tummy tuck already and know what to expect. The dog ear problem is common and fixable as you have also seen. If you just have excess fat in your tummy from weight gain then the liposuction should take care of it nicely. If there is a lot of loose skin also, which I probably doubt, then a tummy tuck would be good. The liposuction is so much easier to go through and less expensive and less risky. Skin still tightens on its own after tumescent liposuction with microcanulas that you may not need the tummy tuck at all. Since you have built up a good relationship with your physician already then stay with him to do your liposuction.

Sincerely,

David Hansen, MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon