Abdominal Liposuction Without a Tummy Tuck?

I want to have an abdominal liposuction, but I am afraid that I might need a tummy tuck too, which I don't want to do. Does an abdomen look good after liposuction, with no need for a tummy tuck?

Liposuction of abdomen can tighten skin.

+1

Hi.

Of course it all depends on your anatomy.  But many people get enough improvement just with liposuction, which avoids the scar and recovery of a tummy tuck. The key is to do superficial liposuction (Gasparotti technique) with sub dermal tunneling, which helps to tighten the skin.

Lipo without Tummy Tuck

+1

Part of that for which patients pay when they choose a surgeon is experience. Based on your surgeon's experience when he or she examines you, this question can be addressed. Surgeons may disagree on it too.

In general, liposuction removes fat but does little for the skin over it. If you are OK with being "thinner" and not "tighter," then liposuction may be for you. If you know that you want things to be "tighter," then liposuction will likely not perform well for you.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

+1

It really depends on your anatomy. Determining your final results are a combination of assessing your bone structure, muscle status, fat distribution and skin laxity.

For example, if you have had children, it is most likely that your muscles are separated and the skin is loose. This type of abdomen does not respond as well to liposuction which only treats the fat.

If you have never had children, have excellent skin and muscle tone, and a stable weight but are bothered by a localized fatty deposit, then you may be a great candidate for liposuction.

Seek multiple consultations and make sure your surgeon is capable of performing a tummy tuck in order to assess your potential results. Many different specialties perform liposuction but are not capable of performing a tummy tuck and they may not be best equipped to provide you with an unbiased opinion.