Liposuction of Abdomen - Post-op Question?

Hi I had liposuction in my lower and upper abdomen last friday and am currently at 6 days post op. I have been wearing my compression garment everyday and only taking it off for a shower. I noticed that my stomach is very soft and numb, I also have a slight pooch at my lower abdomen and overall it looks very loose and saggy in the lower area. Will this tighten up and smooth out over time? I know it may be too early to tell and I should be patient but I am worried that I will have a saggy area!

Need more time to judge final result of liposuction

Liposuction of the lower abdomen especially on woman who have had children is always a questionable area.  If there was good pre-operative elasticity of the skin then  you should be fine.   It will take several more months for you to judge the result.  Liposuction is more about the quality of the skin and the amount of fat you leave behind than the amount of fat you removed.  

Early Liposuction Results

It will take up to 3 months after abdominal liposuction to see the final result. It is very common to see a roll or tube of swelling at the lower abdominal area in the first month or so after surgery. Gravity pulls fluids and blood down to the lower abdomen, often below as to where the garment resides. That will get better with time.

It is quite early to be worried about outcome. Usually the issue is too much swelling, not skin that is too loose this early. 

This is a visual problem, hard to evaluate without photos. Best will be to discuss with your surgeon at your postop visit.

All the best. 

Post op Results After Liposuction

Thank you for your question. It is too early to determine your results after liposuction. Your body maybe swollen and your skin has not started to tighten. Don't worry, you will start to see improvement soon. 

Liposuction questions

No worries!  It is way too soon to stress over the results.  It takes several weeks/ months to completely heal from liposuction.  Continue to wear your garment as instructed by your Plastic Surgeon, and follow his instructions for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Post #LiposuctionSagging Treatment

Sagging usually improves but often remains to a degree as fat only is removed with lipo not skin. Skin tightens as part of the healing process but only to a degree.
Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. If you have any concerns, notify your plastic surgeon to get it examined. Velashape 3 can speed up this process and reduce sagging by tightening your skin - speak to your surgeon to see when this is safe to start.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Loose Skin After Liposuction

You are still early on in your recovery so it is difficult to say if your skin will firm back up. Please wait a few months before assessing your results, and make sure to wear your compression garment as advised, since this will help. 

Some numbness after liposuction is common.  Local anesthetic is typically used during the procedure to numb the abdomen which can keep the area numb for a few days after surgery.  The sensation in your skin should return gradually over time.  To lower the risk of sagging skin after liposuction I recommend my patients wear their compression garment 24 hours a day for 6 weeks, only removing for washing the garment or showering.  This helps the skin to retract as much as possible.  The best candidates for liposuction of the abdominal area have good skin elasticity and realistic expectations of the final result.  It is too early to tell how much your skin will retract or smooth out.  At 6 days post op your “pooch” may be due to swelling.  The swelling after liposuction will decrease gradually after the procedure and can be noticeable for up to 3 months.  I tell my patients that their final result will be visible in about 6 months.  If the numbness persists or you feel like the swelling is not resolving or is increasing make sure to discuss these issues with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Be well and good luck!

Liposuction recovery...

Swelling and numbness is normal after you have liposuction.  It is normal to feel soft and number at this point and swelling after liposuction can usually last up to 2-6 weeks after the procedure, depending on how fast you heal.  Wearing the compression garment can help with the swelling, but just be sure to take it off every once in while.  The full results of liposuction are usually visible within 3 months after the procedure.  If you have any questions and concerns please contact your plastic surgeon.

Liposuction will not improve skin laxity.  However, swelling can figure prominently into liposuction results.  There is a period of swelling that can persist for 3 to 6 months and sometimes longer.  The key factor in this is to assure that there is only swelling and not a fluid collection that must be drained.  Only a physical exam will be able to sort these issues out.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA