Liposuction of Abdomen 3 1/2 Weeks Ago. Bloated and Defined Swelling. When Will I See Final Result? (photo)

PAL liposuction of abdomen done by a PS 3 1/2 weeks ago (Nov 2011). My abdominal area looked like a "3" if you looked at me sideways. Had 1150 ccs of fat removed. 1st day was great, I had the flat belly I always wanted. 2 weeks into my recovery I got my period (which always makes me bloated). The bloated feeling continues today and I noticed that the "belly pouch" is back(smaller). PS told me that this is normal and to wait until my next visit (end of Jan 2012). Will it get flatter again?

Bloated and swollen after liposuction--this is normal.

+2

You are only 3+ weeks post-op, and you were kind enough to mention that you looked "great . . . the flat belly you always wanted" the day after surgery. So you absolutely know the excess fat was removed! Since you didn't "suddenly" re-grow all the fat that was removed, you KNOW what you see now is swelling.

The important question is whether or not this swelling is within the tissues (like a saturated sponge) or if there is a collection (seroma) that should be eliminated. If it isn't, this can develop an area of persistent scar tissue that can remain as a bulge. So removal of excess fluid in a "pocket" or pseudobursa beneath the skin is important, or else the bulge you see now may persist.

I'd recommend seeing your surgeon sooner than your regular scheduled appointment; even if things are fine, knowing this rather than waiting and finding out a seroma should have been evacuated is always a good thing. Call your surgeon and schedule an appointment ASAP. Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/body-procedures/liposuction

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

+2

Be patient. The shape you saw on postop day one should return after the swelling resolves. Liposuction is very effective at removing significant volumes of fat from unwanted areas. While the incisions for liposuction are very small and well concealed, the area of treatment is typically widespread. Along with the fat removal and manipulation of the deeper tissues comes postoperative edema (swelling).  All of the tunnels created from the fat removal are susceptible to swelling/fluid retention. This is why it is advisable to have a well fitting compression garment. The compression will help to reduce post-op swelling. If you weigh yourself post-op, you will likely be heavier than you were before surgery.  This increase is often related to post-op swelling. You can expect to have significant swelling over the initial 2-3 wks with progressive improvement through the third month. Make sure you visit with your plastic surgeon to be sure that you don't have a seroma. Otherwise, wear a well fitted compression garment. I encourage all of my patients to resume active fitness throughout their recovery, but be sure to review your plans with your surgeon. Best of luck. Dr. Renucci

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

+1

In general there is 2.2 pounds per liter of fat removed.    Even at 4 weeks you do have some swelling present. In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Re-evaluate at 6 months and decide if you need additional liposuction.  When large areas are treated with liposuction there is always some degree of fluid retention.  Give it time and you should get some resolution.  

Swelling 3 weeks after liposuction

+1

Give it some time and be patient.  It takes a minimum of 3-6 months for the majority of the swelling to resolve after liposuction. It takes almost a year for all of the swelling to go away.  Give it some time.

Swelling after liposuction

+1

If your belly looked great at day one, and now looks bloated, it is likely that when the swelling comes down it will look nice as well.  Give it some time.

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Be religious about wearing your compression garment if are not currently doing so.  After the first week post-op I have all my patients do lymphatic drainage.  

Liposuction swelling

+1

make sure you do not have a seroma which may require needle drainage by your surgeon. Also, ensure that you are wearing your compression garment all the time except while showering. In addition, activity levels also have a significant role in the amount of swelling. Continue to work with your docotor and you will have a great result over time!

Sean Lille, M.D.

+1

Based upon your posted photo, I believe it is residual swelling/edema. But without in person examination very hard to advise if not enough was done. I agree with extra compression and external ultrasound with lymphatic massage. 

Swelling is normal

+1

this is very normal to have significant swelling after liposuction as long as there is not fluid collection or a seroma..Your doc can tell.  Be patient, wear the compression garment and dont exercise.

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com

Results after tummy tuck

+1

Most swelling will be out by 3 months and it can improve for up to a year.  So try and be patient.