Liposonix or Vaser Shape for Inner Knees?

Regarding inner knee fat deposits, which would you recommend: Liposonix or Vaser shape (or another non-invasive technique)?

+1
While Liposonix may be used "off label" on many areas of the body, inner knees may be a bit difficult to address with this modality due to the depth of the signal.  I feel that this particular area is much better treated with liposuction, utilizing very small cannulas (no more then 2mm in diameter). 

Manhattan General Surgeon

Liposonix for treatment of inner knee fat deposits

+1

I was one of the first centers in the U.S. to get the Liposonix device after it got FDA approved for fat reduction Nov 2011.  I have treated many parts of the body off-label (it is FDA approved for abdomen and flanks) where there is at least an inch of fat with great success and no complications.  It works great for areas that are difficult to reach with liposuction such as the cankles, inner knees, around the elbows, inner arms, around the underarms, "back breasts", and bra bulge.  The results have been phenomenal.  These areas are very sensitive and can only be treated using special techniques requiring expert knowledge of the anatomy and the device which I have developed over time with experience.  

Vaser Shape would not work at all because it uses unfocused ultrasound which has no effect on the fat cells.

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Currently, Liposonix is not FDA approved for this area

+1

Unfortunately, we need more time with the Liposonix technology before we consider using it in this area. Sometimes the Vaser or other laser fat lipolysis techniques cause surface irregularities.

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction probably better than Liposonix for inner knee area - for now

+1

At the present time, the Liposonix system available in the U.S. has a fixed focal depth meaning that only the layer between about a half inch and an inch deep is treated. In the future we will probably be able to come closer to the skin, and that is what would be needed for most patients to treat the inner knee area. So for now, any type of liposuction (VASER, laser, you name it) would probably be a better choice.

Richard Baxter, MD