Liposonix Vs Tummy Tuck?

I've had a consult with a cosmetic surgeon and decided I am not prepared to have surgery to repair the loose skin I am left with after childbirth. She suggested liposonix as a non-surgical alternative, but said I have very little fat to remove. Will liposonix offer any improvement then? The skin seems thicker just under my bellybutton and horizontally across my abdomen from there. Does it really tighten the skin as well as remove fat?

No

+3

No, Liposonix is only a modality to decrease and disrupt fat cells. There is no evidence that LipoSonix causes any kind of skin tightening. I would recommend thermage, the only FDA approved mmodality shown to work for non-surgical tightening of skin on the body. On the face, ulthera is the best alternative.

Liposonix vs Tummy Tuck

+3

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) addresses three issues- Lower Abdominal fat, Rectus Diastasis (the separation in the abdominal muscles that usually results from pregnancy), and Lax Abdominal Skin.  Liposonix is a new breakthrough technology that will reduce abdominal fat and there is reason to believe that some skin tightening may also occur- but it does not do anything for the abdominal muscles.  In my opinion the diastasis repair is what makes a tummy-tuck such a powerful procedure.

If your main complaint is laxity of your abdominal skin then Liposonix is probably not the treatment of choice as it will just address the fat.  I can likely advise you better if you post a photo.

Liposonix melts fat but does not replace tummy tuck

+3

Liposonix just got FDA approved for fat reduction in the U.S. Nov 2011.  As of Dec. 2011, I'm one of the first U.S. centers to offer the Liposonix, the first FDA approved fat melting device.  It uses high-intensity focused ultrasound to cause lysis or destruction of the fat cells.  There is no other device that can make this claim in the U.S.  It is  nonsurgical liposuction, a revolutionary technologic breakthrough.  In order to be a candidate for LipoSonix, you must have about an inch of pincable fat in the treatment area.  It is not an alternative for a tummy tuck for significantly loose skin.  If you are adverse to surgery and have only mild to moderate skin laxity then Thermage for Body might give you some modest skin tightening.  Liposonix coupled with Thermage might provide a nonsurgical option for adequate fat and mildly loose skin, but not if you have little fat and a lot of loose skin.  A major advantage of LIposonix over Zeltiq is you can treat around the belly button area and also treat large surface areas (whereas Zeltiq is very limited in its treatment areas).

Web reference: http://www.eastbaylaser.com/

Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix vs. Thermage

+2

If I am reading this correctly, it sounds as if your surgeon said that you do not have any herniation of your abdominal muscles, nor do you have any excess fat over the abdomen, but rather that you have loose skin over the abdomen, not excess fat.  One must have at least an inch of fat that we can pinch between our fingers, or there isn't enough fat for the HIFU (Liposonix) to work. So, if it's just loose skin, then you might want to consider a Thermage treatment.

Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix is not an alternative to a tummy tuck

+2

Liposonix, which was recently approved by the FDA in the US, is a completely nonivasive way to reduce localized fat using high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). Because HIFU causes tissue heating, it is possible that some degree of tightening could occur but that has not been clinically documented. In any case, fat reduction alone with any technique -" smart" lipo, VASER, tumescent, and so forth - does not cause enough skin tightening to substitute for a tummy tuck.

Liposonix cannot replace a tummy tuck

+1

No, Liposonix will not significantly tighten the skin. It uses High Intensity Focused Ultrasound energy to noninvasively melt the fat. The net result is similar to liposuction. The layer of fatty tissue will become thinner. As with liposuction, a minimal amount of skin retraction will occur. If one has significant laxity of skin after childbirth (especially if one has stretch marks), there is no better way to tighten the skin than a tummy tuck. With a tummy tuck, all of the skin between the pubic hair line and above the belly button is removed. In addition, the abdominal muscles are tightened. Liposonix also will not tighten the abdominal muscle layer.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

How much laxity do you have?

+1

The key is how much is due to laxity and how much is due to fatty tissue.  You must have at least 1 inch of pinchable skin to perform the LipoSonix.  If you have this then LipoSonix will help.  However, if it is more related to laxity due to stretched skin, then Thermage may be used.  Combining the two modalities is also a real consideration. Because the LipoSonix unit targets the deeper fat layer there is no "tightening" of the dermal tissue.  Ulthera is the best treatment for lifting and tightening the skin of the face.  Ulthera is not routinely used to treat the abdomen.  Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Liposonix vs. tummy tuck? What about Ulthera?

+1

Liposonix is meant for fat removal.  However, I have Ulthera as well as Liposonix.  Ulthera is another device which uses focused ultrasound, but it focuses the energy at the dermis and deeper connective tissue layers which does tighten skin non invasively.  It sounds like Ulthera would be a good alternative for you.  In patients who have both excess skin and fatty tissue, I am using both devices.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposonix versus a tummy tuck

+1

A plastic surgeon will be able to determine whether the amount of fascial laxity, muscle tone, excess skin, and fat deposition on your lower abdomen can be corrected by a non-surgical method.  At this time, Liposonix cannot replace a tummy tuck in terms of fascial tightening, one of the key components of a properly performed tummy tuck.  

Liposonix, Vaser Shape, CoolLipo vs. Tumescent liposuction and/or Tummy Tuck

+1

Tumescent liposcution with or without Tummy Tuck remains the gold standard for instant gratification. However, if one is looking for a noninvasive body sculpting procedure without risks of downtime or infection, one may want to pay attention to a new generation of external ultrasound-based fat melting devices such as Liposonix, Vaser Shape, Ultra Shape or external cryosurgical device Zeltiq.

Web reference: http://www.SonixLipo.com

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon