Should I Wait for Liposonix to Get Rid of Cellulite?

saw a New York Times story ("Cottage-Cheese Smoothie?") from 2006 that said cellulite laser treatment was all that works for getting rid of cellulite. They mention a radio-frequency laser named LipoSonix. Is this worth waiting for this? How long before I can get LipoSonix?

Cellulaze Best for Cellulite Reduction

+1
Thank you for your question. I would suggest Cellulaze to reduce your cellulite. Cellulaze is the only minimally invasive laser procedure designed to attack the structure of cellulite beneath your skin. Cellulaze is backed by many years of clinical research. Studies have shown it increases the thickness of your skin by 25% and the elasticity of your skin by 29%—significant claims that haven't been made by any other treatments. Thicker and more elastic skin can help flatten and smooth the skin surface to improve the appearance of cellulite. In addition, 93% of patients surveyed were satisfied or very satisfied with their results at one year post their procedure, and all would recommend the Cellulaze cellulite laser treatment to a friend.

Liposonix uses ultrasound to reduce fat non-surgically

+1

it can be used to decrease the waistline, abdomen, thighs or buttocks.  The ultrasound creates heat which eliminates some of the fat.  However, cellulite is due to fibrous bands that attach to the skin.  The liposonix treatment will not affect that.  Some radiofrequency devices such as Thermage, have been shown to tighten those collagen bands and decrease the appearance of cellulite.  That is also a non-surgical procedure. Best, Dr. Jacob

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellulite reduction and non-surgical liposuction with Liposonix

+1

Liposonix is used in my Los Angeles plastic surgery practice to target subcutaneous fat in the mid torso, including the abdomen, flanks, love handles, and waistline.  It is thought that subcutaneous fat reduction may help reduce cellulite visibility, but there are ancillary options including the Brazilian Cellulite Treatment for cellulite reduction. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Liposonix works on cellulite.

+1

Yes, one can have a Liposonix treatment for surface irregularities due to cellulite. We pulse over the bulges over cellulite in order to smooth the areas.

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix may be a cellulite smoother!

+1

I love the "cellulite smoothie"!  Liposonix is actually a high intensity focused ultrasound (different from radiofrequency instruments like Thermage).   Thermage has been used for cellulite for some time and gives a nice moderate result. Liposonix (approved in the US in September 2011 and available in our office in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley AZ)  and in select other area of the US now) is designed to reduce fat.  My physician friends in Canada have been using LIposonix for a while and they tell me that they love it for cellulite.  Of course studies still need to be done and almost no one in the US has enough experience with LIposonix to tell you absolutely what result to expect on cellulite. Given all of that I am optimistic that cellulite may have met its match. 

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix is now FDA approved and available in the U.S.

+1

As of Dec. 2011, I'm one of the first U.S. centers to offer the Liposonix, the first FDA approved fat melting device.  It uses high-intensity focused ultrasound to cause lysis or destruction of the fat cells.  There is no other device that can make this claim in the U.S.  It is  nonsurgical liposuction, a revolutionary technologic breakthrough.  It is not a replacement for liposuction because you cannot remove the high volumes of fat possible thru liposuction but you can get about an inch reduction (2.5 cm) in fat per treatment per area.  Liposonix uses HIFU (high-intensity focused ultrasound) not radiofrequency.  It has the advantage over Zeltiq in that it can treat large surface areas all over the body, not limited to small specific target areas such as Zeltiq.  Because of its suction device that can only be applied to certain regions of the love handles, Zeltiq would not be suitable for treating cellulite.  Liposonix now available in the U.S. could be used for cellulite as could UltraShape (which is not FDA approved or available in the U.S.).

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

No proven techniques for improving cellulite

+1

There are very few effective options for cellulite and when they work, the results tend to be temporary. Some people believe that Endermologie is the best option but I am not convinced.

Might wait for cryolipolysis

+1

I echo many of my colleagues skepticism regarding present methods for getting rid of cellulite. Some might work slightly, not nearly as well as the marketing hype would indicate, but are hardly worth the money.

As you probably know Liposonix has not been cleared by the FDA. This machine uses ultrasound technology and maybe it will be better than its superiors in treating cellulite. The company was acquired by Medicis and if/when approved expect it to be marketed with Reloxin and Restylane.

You might pay attention to the work of Dr. Rox Anderson, Professor of Dermatology at Harvard. Dr. Anderson is head of research at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at the illustrious Massachusetts General Hospital, is probably the leading figure in laser research. He and his colleagues are working on some fascinating research on the noninvasive selective coolilng of subcutaneous fat. If this technology is fruitful it will eliminate saddle bags, love handles, back fat and most importantly cellulite.

Cryolipolysis crystallizes the lipids in fat cells when temperatures are above the freezing point of water. Dr. Anderson has developed a device for controlled energy extraction that is applied to the skin surface to accomplish this. This causes the fat cells to die but the surrounding cells are uneffected.

Studies are showing that a cryolipolysis session lasting an hour or less results in a low-grade inflammatory process that continues for 3 months,during which fat cells are engulfed and digested by inflammatory cells and a dermal scarring response occurs.

Studies in a multicenter clinical trial using this technology are on-going.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist