Liposonix Vs Lipolysis (Injections) ?

Liposonix beats injection lipolysis for safe fat reduction

+2

Mesotherapy/injection lipolysis is not FDA approved in the US and is not regulated. Results are reported to be variable and unpredictable. Injections are painful as is the aftermath (swelling and inflammation).  It is not to say that with more study, quality control and refinement that it could not be a good procedure.  On the other hand Liposonix is FDA approved, has a great track record in Canada and elsewhere in the world and is safe and effective. I would definitely go with Liposonix.

Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix is FDA now approved for fat melting in the U.S. but injection lipolysis (mesotherapy) is not

+2

As of Dec. 2011, I'm one of the first U.S. centers to offer the Liposonix, the first FDA approved fat melting device (approved Nov 2011 for fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks--it can be used off-label to treat other body parts).  It uses high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) to cause lysis or destruction of the fat cells.  There is no other device that can make this claim in the U.S.  It is  nonsurgical liposuction, a revolutionary technologic breakthrough.  It is not a replacement for liposuction because you cannot remove the high volumes of fat possible thru liposuction but you can get about an inch reduction (2.5 cm) in fat per treatment per area.  UltraShape also uses HIFU but has not received FDA clearance and is not available in the U.S.  Clinical trials for both devices have shown impressive and consistent results.

Injection lipolysis (ie: phosphatidylcholine, succinyl cholate, Lipodissolve) also known as mesotherapy is not standardized nor FDA approved in the U.S.  The amount of fat claimed to be dissolved with these chemicals has been inconsistent and to much lesser degree compared to the HIFU devices.

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposonix now FDA cleared in the U.S.

+2

Liposonix is now FDA approved and will be available widely in early 2012 (a few centers including mine have it now.) Liposonix is completely noninvasive, involves no injections, no down time, and no compression garment. Injection lipolysis is not FDA approved and involves multiple injections.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposonix and injection Lipolysis (mesotherapy for fat melting)

+2

Liposonix, to the best of my knowledge, has not yet recieved FDA approval in the USA but uses ultrasonic energy to destroy fat whereas injection lipolysis has been described with a variety of different products, namely phosphatidylcholine, which acts to destroy fat. The latter has not recieved widespread acceptance among plastic surgeons as to recommended techniques or protocols and is essentially practiced in the community by a variety of specialties. I remain somewhat reluctant to use it at this point and its use has not been recommended by our society.  

Choosing a liposonix treatment for fat reduction in the abdomen and waistline

+1

Liposonix is now available in my practice in Los Angeles and works as an excellent modality for fat reduction in the mid torso and abdomen.  Patients can benefit from the non-invasive alternative to liposuction as Liposonix requires no incisions or scarring.  Liposonix has a high safety record that is FDA approved.  I would advise patients to undergo Liposonix treatment as it provides a high level of reproducibility and predictability in its approach to fat reduction. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Mesotherapy warning.

+1

If you reside in the United States and you are considering mesotherapy or "injection lipolysis", I recommend that you google the FDA website on this topic. Liposonix, however, is FDA-approved.

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon