Liposculpture Vs Liposuction?

How does liposculpture compare to liposuction?

Liposculpture is a marketing term for Liposuction

+4

Liposculpture is a term used to describe using Liposuction to alter the body shape. It is a marketing term for Liposuction.

Some surgeons use the term Liposculpture to describe careful, small amounts of liposuction in an attempt to improve for example, the show of the "abs" in people who are not fat. Other areas that are sculpt include the hips, knees, neck and jawline using careful small cannulae removing small amounts of fat.

It is mostly a "marketing term," but Liposculpture does...

+2

It is mostly a “marketing term,” but Liposculpture does refer to the use of tumescent anesthesia on awake patients and using the smallest cannulas (tubes) to extract fat.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposculpture Vs Liposuction

+1

Liposcupture is a marketing term for liposuction which is used to link the art with the science of a successful surgery. Some offices used it to differentiate a procedure that will provide subtle changes to the body versus significant changes through liposuction.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction vs liposculpture

+1

I am afraid it is all marketing. It is an attempt to make the Liposculpture sound new,more artistic , with more finesse. In reality, it is all liposuction, the Liposculpture procedures are done with small cannulas, or tubes, but they have been around for years prior to the term Liposculpture.Liposculpture is done under both tumescent or general anesthesia.

Julio Garcia, MD

What's in a name.

+1

Liposuction is the removal of fat to create a contour. Liposculpture was coined in the mid 1990's and implied the use of local anesthetics and small cannulas. It's really the same. Liposelection I'd the term that was introduced by Sound Surgical for the Vaser system.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Liposculpture is liposuction

+1

Argh!

The marketing of plastic surgery astounds me.

Liposculpture, liposelection, liposuction. They are all the same thing. Liposuction, when done well, should always be scultping. The goal of liposuction is not just fat removal. It is the smooth, contoured removal of fat.

Don't feel bad you were misled. Many of the terms out there were created to make you think something is new and exciting. The marketing of plastic surgery has gotten out of control.

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Liposculpture are synonymous terms

+1

Liposuction and Liposculpture are one in the same. They both refer to the exact same surgical procedure of removing fat by suctioning it from various body areas. The eye of a sculptor is a prerequisite of each and every surgeon performing this operation.

David A. Ross, MD

How is Liposculpture different than Liposuction?

+1

Hi there-

There is absolutely NO difference. The two words are synonyms.

Most of this confusion has been generated by non-plastic surgeons who have to somehow fool patients into letting them do liposuction on them by making the procedure sound more sexy than what they could get in the office of an actually well trained plastic surgeon.

Here is what you need to know about liposuction and the crazy behavior we're talking about:

Tumescent liposuction, VASER Lipo, Smart Lipo, Cool lipo, Pro Lipo, Slim Lipo, Water Jet lipo...

What does this all mean? If I don't get Smart lipo does that mean I'm dumb? If my surgeon recommends Slim Lipo does that mean he/she isn't a "Pro"? It truly is a ridiculous situation we have come to with regard to liposuction and the number of people trying to cash in on America's desire to be rid of its collective fat.

In well motivated patients, body contour improvement can be a very healthy endeavor, but how is an otherwise intelligent and well-adjusted person to know the difference between a responsible provider of aesthetic services offering them safe options for help with their body contour and a poorly trained and inexperienced provider more interested in their wallet than in your outcome and safety?

It is first important to realize that all of these devices will require you to undergo a liposuction procedure. The only difference is the approach to the treatment of the fat prior to its removal.

Because they all involve liposuction, and this is in fact a surgical procedure, it is very important that you "do your homework" and find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the years of training in liposuction necessary to give you the safe experience and superior outcome you deserve and desire. Behind the amazing number of machines now available to remove your fat, there has followed an army of their sales representatives and an equally impressive number of providers marketing themselves as "liposuction experts".

What has made them "liposuction experts"? In almost all cases, a few days or weekends training with the salesman for the device or with someone more experienced in the procedure. It is their promise that if you have the device in their possession brought to bear on your behalf, your fat will be gone, your skin will miraculously shrink away, you won't need any anesthesia because the device allows painless removal of the fat, and it can be done on your lunch hour. The only thing I am surprised by at this point is that they don't promise you'll get rich and be more sexually alluring after the procedure too.

Selling the particular device to patients is not unlike someone saying to you that because they will give you access to Tony Stewart's racing car that you will be able to win this weekend's race and make a million dollars. Tony Stewart wins races because he is a great racing car driver AND he has a great car...This is no different.

Getting the best outcome from a body contouring procedure depends most on finding a well-qualified and experienced surgeon, and much less on the device used.

Most of these people are so aggressive in their marketing of these questionable devices because they are, in fact, not trained plastic surgeons but rather are either not physicians at all, or they are doctors with core training which would not have prepared them to do liposuction. Many have read recently about a death in my home state of Florida after a healthy 40ish year old mother had liposuction performed by a rehabilitation medicine doctor. Amazingly, I know of eye doctors (!!) doing liposuction as well- and yes, they market themselves as "liposuction experts".

The particular device used can affect the overall experience, however.

Despite the claims of the manufacturer and the practitioners who plunked down the large sum the device costs, Smartlipo has never been proven to shrink skin better than tumescent liposuction. SmartLipo, SlimLipo, Prolipo, and Coolipo all use a laser to destroy the fat cells, allowing them to be removed by liposuction. My problem with these is that, first of all, as a scientist and doctor I am offended when false claims of benefit are made, and that because the lasers will burn whatever you point them at, I worry that your nerves, blood vessels, muscles, and skin may be injured by the laser.

Bottom line (and in my opinion) -- there is no benefit to these devices, they are expensive (meaning that the cost to you, the patient, will be higher as well), and the risks are higher.

Tumescent liposuction is the gold standard to which all other techniques must be compared. It has been proven to be safe and effective over many years (provided that it is performed by a well-trained surgeon). It involves the injection of a fluid into the fatty tissue layer that causes blood vessels to shrink and the fat to expand, making it easier to remove and lowering the risk of a complication.

VASER lipo involves an additional step, in which the fat (after injection of fluid but before suction is applied) is treated with ultrasound energy. Unlike the laser filaments used in SmartLipo and the other devices mentioned above, the VASER probe is blunt and the ultrasound energy it uses is much more specific for fat, so that the risk of injury to the blood vessels and nerves, as well as the muscles and skin are much lower. This is seen in the patient experience of reduced swelling and bruising.

Each time a new (revolutionary!) liposuction machine comes out, I think the most important questions to ask are not "Does it work?", but rather, "Does it work better than what is already available, is it less expensive (not more), and is it safer than what is already available?"

The VASER (in my opinion) passes this test, while the laser based devices do not.

Having said all of that, I would emphasize that it is the education, training, experience, and skill of the surgeon at the end of the liposuction device that will make the greatest difference in your outcome and safety. There is not substitute for the years of training Board Certified Plastic Surgeons receive in liposuction, directly supervised by other Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. A well trained and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be more than capable of achieving a better outcome through tumescent liposuction than any eye doctor with a Water Jet. As in the analogy of Tony Stewart above- a great professional with a great tool (like the VASER) would only make those results and their safety even greater.

Please know that I have no financial relationship with any of these companies and have personally tried each of the discussed technologies myself on patients.

Armando Soto, MD

Liposculpture vs lipsuction

+1

The terms liposculpture and liposcution are one and the same. I think liposculpture sounds sexier, so maybe that is why some use that term instead of liposuction.

Liposuction is liposculpture

+1

Liposculpture is the same thing as liposuction, just with a name that makes it sound fancier or more artistic.  After all wouldn't you rather your fat be sculpted than sucked out?  But it is the same. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS