Which is Better: Liposculpture or Laser Lipo?

What's the difference between the 2 Lipos?

What is Liposculpture?

+2

It may be good to know what you mean by “Liposculpture” as it has a few different interpretations. In most cases, it is the same as traditional liposuction and at times, it includes the use of fat injections (grafts) to further “sculpt” the body. Others may use the term to mean high definition liposuction that makes the underlying muscles more prominent. LipoSculpture is also an internet site that promotes various types of liposuction technology (but not all of their doctors are plastic surgeons). As the other 2 surgeons have said, don’t believe the hype generated by laser lipo but rather find an experienced Board Certified surgeon that can show you real patient results.

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Difference between traditional Liposuction and Laser Lipo

+1

Laser Liposuction Maybe More Hype than Benefit over Traditional Lipocustion
Benefits of Laser-Assisted Liposuction in my opinion are more theoretical than real.
The primary benefit of laser-assisted liposuction is that the recovery period has been touted as  less painful, and you may experience less swelling and bruising. I have not seen any difference. The theory is that because the laser used to disrupt the fat cells it causes less trauma to your tissues than mechanical removal—but the surgeon still does have to get under the skin and remove the fat. It generally takes me longer to use laser assisted liposuction and there is the danger of heat generation and a  burn complication.
Laser-assisted liposuction has not been demonstrated to produce better results than tumescent ("traditional") liposuction.
The #1 consideration—for both pain & swelling and your ultimate result—is your choice of surgeon. A skilled, experienced surgeon will give you the best surgical outcome with minimized pain and recovery time. I suggest looking up surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Laser Liposuction

+1

Do not be confused with the names.  The best lipo removal device I know is the Vaser, a non laser way to remove fat.  A laser is nice, but not the workhorse.  See a BCS with a Vaser and you will have half the battle done.  We like Vaser because we can do all skin types with consistent reliable results.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser Lipo versus liposculpture

+1

Laser liposuction uses a very fine fiber to accomplish destruction of fat cells and claims to promote skin contraction (unproven). It also supposedly results in less bruising, again unproven.

Liposculpture can be achieved using multiple different techniques but traditionally it is utilizes suction with or without the application of ultrasonic energy.

Depending on the area and the amount of fat to be removed, there may be different benefits to one technique over the other.

Due to the small fibers used in laser lipolysis, it is indicated for smaller more localized fatty deposits whereas larger areas are more effectively managed with suction assisted lipectomy. Depending on the surgeon's preference and experience, many will use liposuction after laser lipolysis to evacuate the destroyed fat cells, whereas other physicians may leave this for the body to eliminate.

The answer lies in the surgeon, not the lipo machine

+1

Laser lipo is pretty new with a lot of new machines coming out on the market. I have used the Smooth Laser. A laser is placed under the skin to heat the fat to melt fat cells and then the surgeon goes into remove the fat with the cannula.

I mostly use Power Assisted Liposuction to remove the fat.

The key is going to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to give you the best results. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype. The laser does not give you the results. The surgeon does. Check his or her pictures and certification.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD