Liposuction on Same Area? (photo)

I had lipo to my stomach 2 yrs ago,gained weight and had lipo again last year in stomach. the doctor didn't take all the fat so I waited 6mths and had a touch up there again and he still has not been able to get rid of unwanted fat.I have been to a few PS and they agree with me that more fat can be taken out. However, I am afraid of dents and irregularity if i get lipo on my stomach again, it is already starting to look weird. Will it be ok to get lipo again there? i am 4mths post touch op.

Revision liposuction

+1

Having repeat liposuction to the same area does increase the risk of dimpling and irregularity.  Also, the procedure is harder due to scar tissue formation.  Allow your body to heal fully from your most recent procedure before making any decisions to proceed.  Also, concentrate on keeping a stable weight.

3rd liposuction?

+1

It is absolutely true that the 3rd liposuction is unlikely to produce a better result.  However, an exam would be necessary to sort this out. 

Revision liposuction

+1

Each time liposuction is performed over the same area there will more than likely be diminishing returns. It is not to say it won't be possible but may be harder.  Best to be seen in person.  You may also have an intraperitoneal component as well.

Liposuction on Same Area 3 times

+1

This is one dilemma that many liposuction patients face and PS  face it too every other day. Liposuction when its done second time its not surgically as easy as the first time since there is a good amount of fibrosis that sets in after the first lipo. And the third revision is still worst. Therefore as very wisely suggested by Robert L. Kraft that try to sustain your weight and repeated revisions are not the answer. Also if you would have posted pre op images then perhaps more valuable suggestions can be given. Some localized depressions can be fat grafted at some stage.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Revision lipo

+1

You should discuss your outcome with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she understands why you have not reached the results you expected. Diet and exercise would be the next step to try to drop your size. If there is a focal issue, that might be addressed under local anesthesia. It's difficult to assess the full situation with a single photo and I would recommend you visit with another board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for another "set of eyes."

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Repeat liposuction

+1
Your post illustrates a problem with unstable weight. Repeat surgeries over two years is not the answer, unortunately and liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss. Dimpling is a risk in repeat surgery but I honestly think you should try to maintain a stable weight rather than having another touchup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lipo Touchups

+1

Thanks for posting the picture.  However, it would be best to see a "before" picture as well. Otherwise, it really is difficult to comment on your results.  Having lipo three times in one area is not typical.  So, after your second lipo heals, you may want to consider a second opinion.  Any fullness that you see may not necessarily be due to fat which can be removed by lipo.  You many have intraabdominal fat for diastasis recti which may be contributing to the look of your abdomen.  For this two issues, weight loss and abdominoplasty would be the intervention of choice.  However, without seeing you in person, there is no way to give a definitive answer.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction "touch-ups"

+1

Hi,

Your question is a very good one. Each time you have liposuction you form more scar tissue underneath the skin, in the plane that is suctioned. This does make each additional liposuction effort more challenging. However, it is possible to do. I would just be sure that in your next consultation with a PS, you are very clear about how much fat you want removed, so that it is all taken. You don't want to keep repeating this procedure indefinitely. Also, I tell all my patients that liposuction is not a "magic bullet"! It's extremely important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise in addition to having liposuction in order to maintain your results. Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Revision liposuction

+1

Hello and thanks fofr the questions and photo.  Since you have had a revision four months ago, I would wait for more swelling to resolve.  Your concerns are valid in regards to contour deformities (the dents and irregularities).  All the more reason to wait longer to be assured that the swelling has resolved.  You might want to consider Smart Lipo Triplex to the abdomen.  It utilizes laser lipolysis first in order to more evenly breakdown the fat. This is very useful in areas that have had previous liposuction, where there is more scar tissue to break through.  In addition the laser will also tighten the skin more than traditional liposuction.  Hope this helps and best of luck.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD