Worried About Multiple Lipomas

I am very young and am worried about the lipomas I have. Will there be more of them? Will I be covered in scars if I keep getting them removed? Is there anything I can do to prevent them? Is there any other way to remove them? Please respond quickly. Thank you so much.

Only worry about lipomas that continue to grow in size.

+1

Most lipomas are benign and do not present a risk. The most common reasons to have lipomas removed are if they compress local structures and cause symptoms (pain, ache) or if they grow in size. Lipomas are tumors, and although benign, can be confused with other soft tissue tumors that are not. The only way to definitively know for sure is to take them out.

Multiple lipomas in women

+1

Although you have multiple lipomas, it is unlikely that you will grow an excessive number of lipomas unless you have a genetic predilection or disorder that would cause this. Disorders such as neurofibromatosis can predispose people to have an excessive number of lipomas. If you are concerned, visit with a plastic surgeon who can examine these masses and determine if they are indeed the lipomas or cysts or intradermal nevi or other benign processes.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lipoma management

+1

Excision is really the best way to remove these and there are no other medical therapies that are accepted.

Liposuction is another surgical alternative but it does not completely remove the lipoma and does tend to have a higher rate of recurrence. I perform this if patients insist, but I generally discuourage them from undergoing this approach.

Multiple lipomas

+1

Some patients may be genetically predisposed to getting lipomas. It is impossible to predict whether or not you will get more. There is also nothing that can be done to prevent them. I would recommend finding a good plastic surgeon, and working with them on gradual removal of the ones that bother you. Excision, and sometimes liposuction, can be both used.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD