Large Lipoma On Neck. Can it Be Removed Under Local Anesthesia?

I have a large egg sized lipoma on neck, one was removed 38 years ago in some spot under local anesthesia. General surgeon wants to do general anesthesia, I'm worried, I have copd, on oxygen, and still a smoker. Can he do this with a local anesthesia?

Lipomas under local anesthesia

+2

I perform lipomas under local anesthesia all the time, especially for people who have issues like yourself that aren't good candidates for general anesthesia. You need to ask him if there's a reason he didn't give you the option for local anesthesia, especially if you've done it that way previously. But your best answer here is going to come from the physician himself.

Lipoma

+1

I prefer to remove these lipomas under local anesthesia. The neck may be a little more complicated but can still be done. Speak to your surgeon about this

+1

This is perfectly reasonable for a superficial lipoma of the neck (most are). Seek a plastic surgeon intimately familiar with surgery of the face and neck and it is likely that they will be willing to remove this under local. Given your other health issues, that sounds like the most appropriate approach. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma

+1

The neck has a very complex and vital anatomy. The location of the lipoma is important in deciding the type of anesthesia and its proximity to vital structures. Also it will depend if the lipoma is under the muscles. Discuss all these issues with you plastic surgeon

YES

+1

MOST LIPOMAS CAN BE REMOVED UNDER LOCAL EXCEPT THOSE AROUND THE NECK CAN SOMETIMES BE A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT. ALSO PATIENTS WHO ARE ANXIOUS OR DEATHLY AFRAID OF NEEDLES SHOULD BE DONE IN THE OPERATING ROOM. 

I WOULD CHECK AGAIN TO SEE IF IT CAN BE DONE UNDER LOCAL

Ashburn General Surgeon