Is Lipoma Removal Painful?

I'm 16 years old and I have lots of lower back pain. I'm not sure if its because of these small lumps I feel or just bad posture. I'm guessing they are Lipoma.

I feel a lump almost as long as a ear bud but not that thick. Do I need to get it removed and is Lipoma removal painful?

Is lipoma removal painful?

+1

In general, I don't think that lipoma removal is painful.  You do not need to have this removed unless it is bothering you.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Removing a lipoma with surgery and local anesthesia

+1

Back pain may have different causes.  Lipoma removal is generally not painful and is performed under local anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lipoma Excision Painful?

+1

Generally, excision of a lipoma is not a painful experience;  depending on its location, size,  and patient personality… It can often be done under local anesthesia. 

Lipoma removal is not painful

+1
First and foremost you must have an evaluation and determine if the lumps you have are truly lipomas. Lipomas typically are not painful and are not painful for removal. Once it is determined if your lumps are in fact lipomas then it would need to be determined if they are the cause of your back pain. Back pain in a sixteen year old without history of trauma etc must be investigated. After these things are established then it would be time to move on to the next phase depending on your diagnosis. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Lump in the back

+1

You should not assume the lumps are lipomas. There are many different kinds of lumps that can occur and some can be cancerous as well.

You should let a physician examine you and make the determination if these lumps are lipomas.

Once it is established that the lumps are lipomas then you have to figure out if indeed your back pain is related to them. Typically lipomas do not cause any significant pain.

If a lipoma is removed, it typically does not hurt much at all.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon