Lipoma Removal Options

I am 34 year old female. I have many lipomas in my arms and legs. On one leg I have about five along my illital band from hip to top of knee. I have been training for a half marathon and that hip has been my source for PT. You can feel the lipoma on my hip(bursa) area. I have already had a large benign lipoma removed from my leg and arm. How can I get these removed without tons of scaring? I was willing to ignore them but I don't want to be limited in my physical activities by pain.

Lipoma removal

+1

Very small lipomata can be removed as described through a "punch biopsy" size hole as they can be expressed through it  with pressure. However, larger ones require local anesthesis in the operating room. A smaller incision (than the size of the lesion) can still be made and heal with nice cosmetic results in these larger lesions.

Los Angeles General Surgeon

Lipomas can frequently be removed through very small excisions

+1
Not all, but many lipomas can be removed through small holes made with "punches", small circular blades that remove a small piece of skin like a cookie cutter removes dough. If the lipoma is encapulated or not adherent to the underlying tissues it can usually be squeezed through this small hole, leaving only a small scar.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon