Should I Have my Back Lipoma Removed?

I am 18 and I have a lipoma. I was born with it and my dad has them. It looks like I have a little hump on my back. I was going to get it removed about 10 yrs ago, but since it caused me no problems and the location is not the greatest I did not. A couple of months ago my back started to hurt right where it is and the pain has not gone away. It has gotten worse. What should I do?

Lipoma removal from the back

+1

Back lipomas should be removed early to prevent them from getting larger.  The larger the lipoma, the bigger the scar and the surgery.

Lipoma Excision?

+1

Lipomas are the most common benign tumor;  they are composed of adipose tissue. Sometimes these soft,  usually mobile  masses can grow in size and become an aesthetic or functional concern.

Malignant transformation of lipomas into liposarcomas  it's extremely rare ( and controversial).

Generally, I  recommend excision to allow for pathologic evaluation (which is the only  way to make a definitive diagnosis) and to  alleviate compressive symptoms it may be causing (as well as for cosmetic purposes).

Lipoma removal

+1

I would recommend an excisional biopsy of the lipoma. The risk/benefit ratio is favorable because there is little risk except for developing a scar. Plus removing it can reveal its association with the pain you are experiencing. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon