Best Method to Remove Huge Number of Lipomas?

I have more than three hundred lipoma on my whole body. May I know which is the best method to remove the huge number of lipoma with less scarring, as well as reduce the impact disease?

Options for Multiple Lipomas

+1
You most likely have the diagnosis of familial lipomatosis (other family members will have the same problem). Lipomatosis is believed to be a dominant trait in which multiple lipomas are present. Most are discrete, encapsulated lipomas on the trunk and extremities.Although they may increase with weight gain, weight loss doesn't improve them in my experience.

Although this condition is benign, many patients concerned with cosmesis seek removal of individual tumors. Treatment can include simple excision, endoscopic removal, or liposuction if large. Liposuction, whether laser Liposuction or traditional will leave some of the lipoma cells behind which over time will probably recur though it may take years. There is nothing special about laser lipo vs regular liposuction to take care of your problem. I published the first article on lipo removal of large lipomas and believe this technique can be used knowing that you will probably have to repeat it when the lipomas eventually recur. However, this may be a reasonable option to minimize the number of scars.

Find the most qualified plastic surgeon with experience with this problem to discuss your options and to take care of you.

Removal of multiple lipomas

+1

Multiple lipomas are commonly encountered and I tend to stage the lipoma removals, first with the large ones, and then multiple smaller ones. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Large number of lipomas to remove and best method

+1
If indeed the masses are diagnosed as Lipomas and there is no underlying disorder involved then I would suggest a direct excision through a small incision. I would have this performed in an outpatient surgical setting and have each lipoma sent for biopsy. While it is highly unlikely there is any chance of malignancy it is best to be safe rather then sorry. This procedure is typically covered by insurance and would be done with local anesthesia and a choice of light sedation in an accredited surgical facility.

Michael Elam, MD

Large Number of Lipomas Is Unsual

+1

You need to be evaluated for any fat storage disorders or other metabolic conditions that could cause this condition. If it is determined that it is not related to any other illness or metabolic condition and indeed the masses are lipomas, then your best bet is liposuction of the lipomas to minimize the scarring.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon